College students + warm weather = fun times

Ronja Haag, Staff writer

When it comes to the end of the semester and the weather gets nicer, college campuses around the country seem to spring to life.

Students are outside playing games and sports, such as volleyball, football, Frisbee and more. The big downfall to the warmer weather and the end of the semester is students begin to put academics on the back burner. When it is 70 degrees out and sunny, what student in their right mind wants to stay stuck up in a stuffy classroom listening to lectures when you can be outside all day enjoying the sun?

“I can honestly say that I lose my motivation to study when it is warm out,” said graduate student Callahan Porcher. “Because it has been a long winter I want to enjoy my time and spend every minute that I can outside doing different activities.”

AIC students enjoy a sunny day on top of Mount Tom in Holyoke.
Ronja Haag

The fact that it is the end of the semester is another thing that make students less motivated to study. Almost all students are ready for summer and the last thing on their minds is spending a warm day inside doing homework. Therefore, the warmer weather makes students procrastinate even more.

“As soon as the snow goes away and it becomes warmer outside, I want to spend my days kayaking and fishing down the river,” said senior Joshua Gagnon. “I try to spend my time outdoors as much as I can where I can enjoy what I love to do, which is fishing.”

Since this winter has been extremely long spring sports such as baseball and softball have not been able to play many games until now when it has been getting warmer outside and because of this, both teams play many double headers at the end of their seasons in order to catch up on their game schedules. Going to watch the school’s baseball and softball teams is another activity that many students at AIC enjoys to do — especially when it is nice out and they can enjoy a good game of sports while having a great time in the sun with their friends at the same time.

Gone fishing.
Ronja Haag
Gone fishing.

“It is so exciting that we finally have a lot of home games so that the rest of the school can come and show us their support when we play,” said sophomore Shannon Millane, who plays on the college’s softball team.

“This is my favorite season of the year and I am very happy that the weather is nice so that I can play the sport that I love with my team,” she continued.

Another activity that has become very popular among the students is climbing up Mount Tom. The mountain is located in Holyoke, Massachusetts not far away from AIC. By going on a hike up Mount Tom students tend to forget about any homework that they have to do. Instead they enjoy their time outside with not a single worry in the world.

“One thing that I love to do when the temperature gets warmer is to hike up Mount Tom” graduate student Bryony Parker said. “Not only is it a great workout because of how steep it is to get up the mountain, but the view when you reach the top is absolutely breathtaking.”

There is no doubt that when the weather gets nicer, students tend to forget about school work and spend all their time outside with their friends enjoying the warm temperature.

However, because it is at the end of the semester it is crucial for students to keep up with their work.

Therefore, even though it is great that the weather is nice out, it can also become a distraction that has negative consequences on students’ schoolwork.