Review: “Straight Outta Compton” A Great Film

Kasia Auguste, Staff Writer

F. Gary Gray’s Straight Outta Compton broke the movie charts by totaling a massive $56.1 million on its opening weekend.

Released in August, Straight Outta Compton has been the one of most talked-about movies of the year. Known as ‘The most dangerous rap group’ in 1988, NWA has been one of the most influenced rap group for this generation. The movie takes viewers back to NWA members (and also the producers) Dr. Dre and Ice Cube time in Compton, California. The movie mainly focuses on the challenges each individual faced on their road to fame, and includes issues of police harassment and brutality.

The film stars Ice Cube’s son, O’Shea Jackson Jr. as Ice Cube; Corey Hawkins as Dr. Dre; Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E; Aldis Hodge as MC Ren and Neil Brown Jr. as DJ Yella. Together, these five actors did a phenomenal job playing their roles.

Unknown-1

Although the movie mainly focuses on the lives of the NWA members, it also opens our eyes to many things such as police brutality and AIDs awareness. After being harassed because they were black men in a white area, they made their most infamous song “F—ck the Police” which gives many viewers a clear understanding on why the “gangster rap group” wrote their hateful lyrics toward the police.

The movie also shows us the 1991 Rodney King video of him being brutally beaten, which can be compared to the Black Lives Matter movement that has been currently going on.

As many know, former NWA rapper Eazy-E passed away from AIDs at age 31. This left a huge effect on many of the viewers.

“This movie will be a classic,” said Alyssa Cruz, 19, of Bridgewater State University. “We’re going to look back at this movie in 20 years and tell our kids they know nothing about this, like our parents do to us now. I just hope and pray my kids won’t have to go through that, ever.”

Though the movie has got nothing but great reviews, issues occurred behind the scenes of the making. Universal was slapped with a lUnknown-2awsuit by Terry Carter’s family during the filming of Straight Outta Compton. Terry Carter died after a hit and run near filming by a Ford F-150 Raptor truck driven by the CEO of Death Row records, Suge Knight. Knight has pleaded not guilty to the murder and remains in jail with a 10 million dollar bail.

Cle ‘Bone’ Sloan and Suge Knight are known to have bad blood. It is said that Knight was intentionally going for Sloan, as revenge and didn’t stop before running Carter over. The lawsuit claims Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and Universal, the distributor for Straight Outta Compton, knew Sloan and Knight had bad blood and should have known the result when they see each other will be violent. Knight is currently awaiting trial for the murder of Terry Carter and attempted murder of Cle Sloan.

Dr. Dre is also being sued by a former R&B singer, Leroy Phillip Mitchell, also known by his stage name Prince Phillip Mitchel. Mitchel is accusing the famed producer of stealing his hit song “Star in the Ghetto” and using it in the movie without permission.

For two hours and thirty minutes, older viewers reminisced on the past.

Straight Outta Compton made me feel like I was a teenager again. It brought back so many memories, good and bad. It made me miss old friends, high school, the parties and just the era in general. That was real hip-hop and rap, no one can ever compare that to this generation,” said 35-year-old Thomas Washington.