Professor Paula J. Giddings Visits AIC

Paula Giddings

Paula Giddings

Ketirah Felder-Hogan, Staff Writer

February 1 marked the first day of Black History Month in the United States. Here at American International College we began this historical month by hosting an event called ‘Ida B. Wells and the First Crusade against Racial Violence.’ This event took place on Thursday, February 4 and was presented by Africana Studies professor Paula J. Giddings.

Professor Giddings began her speech on Ida B. Wells by formally introducing herself and providing a small background to who she was.

She started by saying she was an Africana Studies professor, an editor, meridians: feminism, race, trans-nationalism.

Giddings spoke about the importance of black studies and the foundation of culture. She spoke of her own experience with fighting against injustice and cruelty as a teenager during the civil rights movement. Giddings also spoke about how the many deaths intrigued her to start her very own career as an Africana Studies Professor.

Professor Giddings then proceeded to speak about how Ida B. Wells started an anti-lynching campaign. Ida B. Wells began her campaign after one of her close friends Thomas Mosley was innocently lynched. Ida saw this as a first lesson in white supremacy.

During this speech, the brutal and cruel murder of teenage African American Boy Emmett Till was mentioned. He was murdered while visiting his uncle in the south for an apparent interaction with a white female. His mother arranged for an open casket in order to show everyone the horrible treatment that happened to her son as a result of racism toward African Americans in general.

Giddings also talked about the future of young African American youths. She spoke about how more and more African Americans are enrolled in college, and how women are being noticed and are being accredited for in political papers.

Giddings even expressed that this a significant improvement, since women generally are seen as having an “unrepresented voice” in this culture. She also expressed her anger in the fact that women are facing unfair wages (“economic insults”).

She also talked about how blacks need to get their behavior together in order to be proper young men and women. Giddings spoke about how technology has set a future for our advances.

Later on into her speech, she began speaking more about what was happening pre-Civil Right movements, such as unions and wages and how public schools and places were segregated.

AIC freshman Hope Willard spoke about how she felt about the speech.

“It was a very informative speech. It was an eye opener to what has happened in the past and how it can positively impact the future,” said Willard. “It was great to here and hear all about what has happened during the civil rights movement.”

Justin Lipscomb, also a freshman at AIC, shared his opinion on the event.

“I learned a lot about what has happened to African Americans during the Civil Rights movement. As a young African American, I want to do better and do well for myself and prove to people that not all black people are bad people,” said Lipscomb.

Professor Giddings ended her event with a questionnaire and influenced everyone to do better and do the best they can and make something of themselves.