How’s the Dining Commons treating you?

Thanvir Bandesha, Staff writer

American International College recently built a new dining commons for athletes, staff and every sort of student. Is the shiny new facility living up to standards?

Nutrition is a key component to being a successful student at AIC, academically and athletically. AIC hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony on October 1, 2015, to mark the completion of the new Dining Commons on campus, a much-needed upgrade from the previous setup.

The reviews have been mixed, both positive and negative, but for the most part students are satisfied with the upgrades.

The Dining Commons offers an array of different meals.

The newly renovated Dining Commons has many features.

For breakfast students have a variety of different forms of eggs to choose from, hard-boiled, scrambled and a new grill where you can pick and choose ingredients for your fresh omelet. Bagels, yogurt, fruit and hash browns round of the meal. Lunch and dinner offer extensive options as well.

There is a pizza and pasta station open for both meals seven days a week. There is a vegan section for those looking for a healthier option.

Burgers, fries and a salad bar are open throughout the day.

There are also alternating entrees everyday. Those offerings might be a type of meat or chicken along with mashed potatoes, rice and different types of vegetables.

On top of all these choices there is a sandwich bar open from lunch to close.

If students aren’t happy with there choice they have the option to go to The Hive, an after hours cafe. Each student is given $100 to spend at The Hive. They offer many different options from sandwiches to wraps.

The options of dining have improved but the concern comes from the hours that they are available.

Students give the new DC good reviews.

A Canadian freshman student, Joel Kocur, a men’s ice hockey player appreciated the food but hopes for longer hours.

“The food has been great,” Kocur said. “The dining commons is a nice place to come after a practice or workout and have a meal with your friends and teammates. Being an athlete I am happy with all of the options available from the pizza, pasta and sandwich bar.”

Students enjoy the variety and taste of the food at the DC.

Can he think of a negative?

“The only thing I would change, would be the hours. The dining commons closes at 7:30 p.m. Sometimes you get hungry at night and wish you could go in to get a bowl of cereal or something. I wish they had it open until at least 9 o’clock, I would have it open on the weekends at 8 a.m. instead of 10 a.m. I wake up early to workout some weekends and find my self waiting for the DC (Dining Commons) to open.”

The hours are as follows:

Monday – Friday

• 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
  • Saturday – Sunday
  • 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Weekends, holidays, & snow days

• 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

The opinions may vary depending on how long students have been here at AIC.

One upperclassman, accounting student, Xavier Penalver had a different take.

“For new students it’s only been two weeks and they haven’t gotten used eating the same things all the time. I appreciate the new DC, but over time the food can get repetitive. I am not always worried about the healthy options as athletes are, but burgers and fries can get old pretty quick. Maybe I should try out some different options,” Penalver said.

The food at the new Dining Commons seems satisfactory, but the hours can be seen as a legitimate concern.