Expansion of AIC Radio operations to World Domination

Joe Petrone, AIC Radio

AIC Radio will be embarking on a number of initiatives this year aimed at expanding its informative influence across campus as well as bring the voice of AIC out into the discourse of the world at large. Unfortunately, last year presented a number of bureaucratic setbacks which barred AIC Radio from actively broadcasting for the time being. Nonetheless, AIC Radio is working to further its operations by other means.

AIC Radio plans on having a strong and active social media presence on virtually all platforms. Accounts are already up and running on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Soundcloud and Snapchat which are updated several times a day to bring followers the latest in campus-wide and local content. The goal of these accounts is to keep students constantly in-the-know, providing posts about local news stories, campus events, giveaways and raffles, student-authored op-ed articles, song suggestions and playlists, and interactive polls which followers can participate in directly.

Additionally, the YouTube platform will be utilized to showcase local musical talent, host live interviews with local figures, and showcase live programming performances from inside the recording studio. All these measures are a means of which to make AIC Radio the primary medium of information and news exchange on campus.

AIC Radio also plans on growing its physical presence on campus, through a mix of hosting their own stand-alone events as well as being active in other major on-campus activities. AIC Radio will be establishing a stand for every home game and on-campus recreational event. AIC Radio has already established a presence at this month’s Beach Bash and at the AIC v St. Michael’s Field Hockey game, and plans on playing a part in Homecoming, SGA-sponsored events, and upcoming fall sports competitions.

AIC Radio also plans on hosting its own parties in the Stinger twice a month, as well as other seasonal events, including the Buzz Bash, a fall trip to the Maury show, and a springtime music festival. Throughout the week AIC Radio also plans on making itself known during C-Block, playing music in the Hive and on the Quad for the enjoyment of the campus. The purpose for these initiatives are to motivate students to stay on campus for fun and entertainment, and to foster a more collective feel in the student body. AIC Radio is working to be the entity that promotes unity on campus.

AIC Radio hopes eventually to further its scope beyond campus and form partnerships with local businesses to foster mutually beneficial relationship with the local community. The club has already partnered with the Big E, and is raffling off tickets for an upcoming Big E sponsored EDM concert. Through these local partnerships, AIC radio will be able to both promote small businesses and bring their content to a broader audience.

Ultimately, the goal for AIC Radio is to begin programming and broadcasting live. The club is currently in the process of buying software for an online radio app. However, broadcasting on an app and/or on campus intercoms may be held off until next semester. Until then, AIC radio will use any other means necessary to provide a steady stream of content to its followers. AIC Radio is still recruiting members to help accomplish its various initiatives.

All those interested should contact Sal Harold at [email protected] or contact the club directly on its Twitter, Facebook or Instagram page- @AIConair, or on the club email [email protected]