Out of the Darkness aims to curb suicide

Shiane Wilkins, Staff writer

A group of American International College students joined the 10th annual ‘Out of the Darkness Walk’ in Springfield to support efforts to curb suicide.

The Set. 25 walk began at MassMutual Center on State Street and proceeded downtown to 1277 Main St. The walk raised funds for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Many people supported ranging from students to people across town to walk and support.

During the walk there were a variety of chalked words on the pavement to give encouragement to people.

The art was written with quotes from famous people and encouraging words, so that anyone considering suicide knows that life gets better moving forward on.

Also, there were supporters that wore many kinds of colored shirts to be know there supporting the walk.

The AIC contingent included student Shanel Shirley and Jennifer Pallazola, who both agreed that the walk was worthwhile.

“This helps the awareness of topics that don’t come up on daily conversations,” Pallazola said,

Like others on the walk, the AIC students wore green shirts with “do not assume…. because I am.”

The Springfield-based Out of the Darkness group has to date raised $57,692 towards the effort, according to its website.

Worldwide, it is estimated that about 1 million kill themselves every year.

The national organizations goal is to reduce the annual suicide rate in the Unites States by 20 percent, by 2025.