NPPA photojournalism club returns

NPPA President Chelsea Lombardo and Social Media Manager Nikki Condo.

Olivia Murphy, Staff Writer

nppa_new_logo_nov2012_onwhiteDo you like taking pictures and writing about them? Do you dream of becoming a photographer or journalist?

If so, NPPA (short for National Press Photographers Association) is the perfect club for you. The photojournalism/photography club can help you strengthen your skills needed to reach your dream.

This club consists of covering a range of campus events – attending the events taking pictures and writing about them.

If you interested in photojournalism, photography or just want to learn more about NPPA, they meet in the MAC Lab below the Dining Commons on Thursdays at 11 a.m., during C-Hour.

The club officers include President Chelsea Lombardo, Vice President Joe Berrouard, Treasurer Demetria Wood, and Social Media Manager Nikki Condo.

NPPA Club Advisor John Nordell
Olivia Murphy
NPPA Club Advisor John Nordell

In an interview with Professor John Nordell, club advisor, says that he “knew there was student interest in photojournalism, which is why I started the club.”

Furthermore, he’s been a member of the National Press Photographer Association since his days as a photojournalist back in the ‘80s.

Professor Nordell likes having informal interactions with the students; it happens to be one of his favorite parts. When asked what he hopes students learn from being in a photojournalism club, Nordell said that he hopes the students learn to become better photographers and journalists.

Nordell said he would not change much about the club, as he tries to have students lead as much as possible. He hopes to get more students involved.

When speaking to Elizabeth Baker, an NPPA club member, she said her favorite part is taking pictures of different things for homework assignments. Baker joined the photojournalism club in hopes of gaining more skills in photography and journalism.

When asked about what she would change about the club, Baker offered her thoughts.

“I wouldn’t change anything because there are good people in the club and it is run well,
Baker said. “But I think there should be more people involved.”

“I love going to sporting events and taking pictures,” Baker added, speaking of her favorite events to cover.

Baker found the club on the school website and talked to Chris Ryan, the coordinator of AIC’s College Steps program, about journalism and other clubs to see how she can be involved.

Elizabeth Baker, member of the NPPA club.
Olivia Murphy

President Chelsea Lombardo talked about her favorite part of the NPPA club.

“I love getting to push my skills and limits in photojournalism,” Lombardo said. “I’ve always loved taking photos, but NPPA has really opened my eyes to all the different stories and subjects you can cover in photojournalism. It really has made me a better photographer and I’m grateful for that.”

Lombardo, a sophomore Communication major, talked about why she joined NPPA.

“I joined NPPA because I’m interesting in having a career in photography and thought it would be a fun way to sharpen my skills and gain knowledge and experience,” Lombardo said.

Lombardo’s only frustration is that NPPA only meets for about an hour a week.

“If I could change one thing about the club, it would be more time to meet. Unfortunately all of us have extremely diverse schedules and it’s hard to get more than once a week in with each other,” said Lombardo. “I wish we had more time to do more projects.”

She talked about her favorite event covered by NPPA, adding “my favorite event we covered last year was the PRIDE fashion show. It felt so professional and was really a great test of how photojournalism would work on a real job. I had a ton of fun with the other members and got some really great shots!”

Lombardo says that “here at AIC, our goal with NPPA is to capture photos that tell a story. Photojournalism is everywhere, and our team is searching high and low to tell the best visual stories we can.”

If you’re interested in photography and photojournalism, be sure to stop by the MAC Lab below the DC on Thursdays during C-Hour!