The job market, and what it can have in store for you

Jessica Callahan, Staff Writer

People go to college to further their education in hopes of getting a great high-paying job after college, right? But is this always the case? Does every student that graduates from college get a great job making it all worth it?

With the job market always changing, it’s hard to tell how likely it will be for one to get a job or not.

When it comes to college, and the job outcome that degree will bring, some say it’s about the major you’re in, some say it’s about the work you put in what result you will get, and some just straight up think college is so ridiculously priced that you’ll be in debt for so long that it won’t be worth it.

Most people’s fears when it comes to jobs, and graduating college is if their college degree will be worth it, and if they will get their dream job out of college.

Ultimately though, I think there are two types of people in regards to views on the job market.

First is the student who enters college maybe because they hear it’s the thing to do. They go and look at some different college majors and come across things like liberal studies, economics, general studies and think to themselves, “what the heck even is that?”

Their main hope is that they will get a job at all after they graduate that is at least a little better then their first job they got at age 16 at the local fast food place.

And last but not least, more than anything, they’re praying they can pay off that college debt in the next 20 years and have it be worth it (and yes, I’m referring to myself here at the beginning of my college career).

long-term-unemployedThen there is the student that thinks they can major in anything they like, go and graduate and bam: they will wind up with their dream job at head of the corporate office right off the bat, making six figures and that thing called “debt” will be and inexistent word in the mind of this soon to be millionaire.

Though both options could happen, the job market for new college grads is typically much different then both scenarios.

You most likely won’t graduate college and be at the top of the food chain in your line of work in the first week, but there is hope for getting there.

Recent studies have shown that the job market is increasing in the past few years more than ever.

“There are jobs for college graduates and it’s important for employers to have college graduates in their workforce,” said Andrea Koncz, the research manager of the National Association of Colleges and Employers, per CNBC.

Though the job market is looking promising, there is more to landing a great job then just attending college.

Zach Rodriguez, a student at American International College talked about attending college as it relates to jobs after graduation.

“Going to college is a financial investment and the odds of you landing a well-paying job increases with any degree,” Rodriguez said. He added, “it opens many doors than not going to school at all.”

And this statement is proving to be true, especially in the years to come.

On that note though, there are definitely other factors that come into play other than just simply going to college.

Let’s be honest here. If you’re graduating with a major in gender, or say group studies, and you have not a clue what you want to do with that when you graduate, no matter how much the job market may be increasing you may have trouble trying to find a job.

The point of what I’m saying here is not that gender studies can’t be useful, but it isn’t going to suit you if you don’t care about gender, and haven’t thought about the options of what you want to do with it.

Too many people go to college and major in just anything, or something they heard “is a good major,” but have no interest in it, or don’t even understand what it is or the kind of jobs it supplies.

For example, if you go to school and get a Bachelor’s degree in psychology to fulfill your lifelong dream of being a psychologist, you may be sadly mistaken when you realize grad school is required for this career. And that being a psychologist with a psychology degree is not possible.

I know, right – this major can be deceiving.

Or there are the degrees you graduate with and any potential job you thought you were going to have says something like “needs ten years of prior experience” and again you think to yourself “well if I can’t get a job anywhere, then how can I get experience?”

These types of things are all aspects to look at when you think about the potential job market for you when you graduate.

When speaking to other college students on their thoughts on the job market, there were mixed feelings among students.

Some feel worried or nervous that their hard work won’t pay off, and wonder how the job market will be looking for their major, and in the field they want to work in when they graduate.

Others felt they were confident the job market would be in their favor after graduation.

Each person’s view on the job market varied among different majors as well. Overall, students who majored in something more straightforward like nursing or education felt they had a very clear path of what they were going to do when they graduated and that made them feel more confident in the job market.

Vera Gobrial, a nursing student at AIC, feels confident about the job market for her when she graduates. She says she wants to do something more with public health, like working in a doctor’s office, or an environment like that. She says that there are always nurses needed so she feels confident in the job market being in her favor.

“It’s more the major you’re in what the job market will be like,” Gobrial said. “I think a major as straightforward as nursing has a clear job field after graduation.”

Jack MacIntyre, also a student at AIC, had similar thoughts on the job market. He majors in English and education and wants to be a High School English teacher when he graduates.

He is not too worried about the job market for himself personally but thinks in general, “people are worried what their future will hold after graduation.”

I worry about the job market to come for my field when I graduate, and worry if the job I’m planning for will be all its been cracked up to be.

I am also confused about how to even go about the whole situation of applying for a “big girl job” when I graduate and when I think of the topic, don’t even know where to begin.

Also with so many people taking loans out nowadays with the rising price of college, their biggest fear is if it will all be worth it, and if it will all pay off.

MacIntyre added on this topic saying that overall, the job market is competitive.

I think the job market will always be like a couple of tigers in the wild fighting for the last piece of food, when it comes to who lands the job. In the end though, it will always make it feel that much more rewarding.

I think it’s safe to say that yes different fields are competitive, but with an ever-growing job market on our side, college students and all can be at ease with confidence that hard work and dedication will result in a prosperous job market in the years to come.