Thoughts on the attack at Ohio State

Ryheime Moore, Staff Writer

Mass shootings in the United States have been undesirably turned into an irritating pattern that is by all means on the rise, leaving some college students wary.

There have been shootings in broad daylight places, giving the perception that they are turning into the new ordinary. Schools, strip malls, and even a move theater are only a few zones that have seen weapon brutality from a mass shooter. There are such a large number of things to ask, it is difficult to figure out where to begin, yet numerous people just simply need the brutality to stop.

Ohio State University suffered an attack on campus Monday, November 29 from a solo attacker. He plowed his car through a crowd of people on campus, then after, got out of the car and charged at passersby with a knife.

The Ohio State University Police officer Alan Horujko shot the attacker after failing to obey orders, killing him and stopping the attack.

The attack left over a dozen people injured and hospitalized.

The attack was carried out by an Ohio State University student Abdul Razak, who posted on his Facebook account that he was “sick and tired” of seeing his fellow Muslims “killed and tortured” according to federal law enforcement officials.

Investigators went through and examined Razak’s social media accounts to determine whether the attack was terrorism. Razak posted Monday morning just before the attack.

The Somali immigrant urged Americans to “stop interfering with other countries, especially the Muslim Ummah,” a term for Muslims at large.

Due to his social media accounts and his posts, authorities believe that the student responsible for the attacks on Monday was inspired by terrorist propaganda from ISIS and deceased Yemeni/American cleric Anwar al Awlaki, two law enforcement sources said.

AIC student Lamont Waites said the whole thing left him feeling unsettled.

“It’s scary how someone who you go to school with, that you could possibly know to turn around and lash out on innocent people in such a violent way,” Waites said.

“That’s something that’s hard to defend against on a college campus where there are so many people and activities going on around. I feel like the only way to make a campus like that safer is to increase the amount of security but at the same time you don’t want to smother the students with the presence of law enforcement everywhere, so it’s hard,” he said. “Although the Ohio State police did a great job of putting an end to the incident quickly.”

Another AIC student, Witche Exilhomme, feels differently.

He believes that the whole thing should have been prevented.

“Someone should be able to tell that the kid was going through something,” said Exilhomme. “Even though it’s not that easy to read people, it is easy to read a social media post and after reading his accounts should have caught on. He talked a lot about how Americans were wrong and that we should mind our business. I’m not saying it’s easy, but eyebrows should have been raised towards him.”