Review: “Get Out,” a thriller of a movie with a few sudden jolts

Patrick Thompson, Staff Writer

It’s the kind of film that keeps you holding onto your seats.

“Get Out,” directed by Jordan Peele, was released on February 24. The movie is among the most talked about movie in the media right now. It’s been well received in reviews, and those who have seen it agree they cannot stop talking about it. People all over the media said they would not mind seeing it a couple more times.

The movie deals with Chris and his white girlfriend Rose, played by Daniel Kaluuya and Allison Williams. This in-love couple go on a weekend get-away trip to see her family. The movie has a jolting twist but is also overlaid with tones of full-on racism. The director of the movie made it not to be an ordinary welcome to the family but, through the historical lens of slavery and racial subjugation.

A few people from AIC went to see the movie and surely had a lot to say.

Naahman Gumbs is a freshman at AIC who went to see the “Get Out” and spoke about it in superlatives.

“’Get Out’ may have been the best thrilling movie I have ever seen in my life,” Gumbs said. “The movie was not any ordinary racism but, the smallest scenes you do not pay attention to the details have a lot of meaning behind it that makes the movie so damn good. I advise everyone to go see the movie,” Gumbs added with excitement.

Gumbs did not want to spill the tea but, he sure does want everyone to go see the thriller.

David Tobe, another freshman at AIC, also saw “Get Out.”

“I wish I could tell it all but, I am telling everyone to go see the movie before it leaves the theaters,” Tobe said.

“Bravo to the creator of this movie. Only a genius can make something so good. Just go see it before I tell everyone what happens,” Tobe added, and then started laughing. He was excited with the release of the movie and said he wants to see it again.

Paige Montague, a junior at AIC, also had a couple of things to say about the movie as well. “Chris put himself in a whole bad situation in this movie,” Montague said.

“That’s all I am going to say. I do not want to tease anyone but, ‘Get Out’ and see it while you can. See what I did there?” Montague said while laughing.

“Get Out” is receiving rave reviews at AIC and in the media, with many well-known publications giving it a full five stars – the top count.

The media enjoys what they are seeing because racism is something that is still broad and this movie portrayed it in a different way for people to understand.