Creatine – helpful or dangerous?

Courtesy suppx.com

Courtesy suppx.com

Matthew Robidoux, Staff Writer

In the vast world of athletics ranging from bodybuilding to high school athletics, many of these athletes take supplements.

These supplements are targeted to athletes to improve their on-field performance as well as their performance in the weight-room. Many “pre-workout” powders as well as “post-workout” powders are designed to help athletes achieve their peak-performance. One of these supplements is Creatine.

Creatine is a naturally produced substance in our bodies that helps aid with the process of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate). With an increased ability to help with the process of ATP, the human body is able to recover from working out faster, which can aid in the overall gain of lean muscle mass.

Along with that, by taking Creatine, you allow more water to enter your muscles. That helps the body become more hydrated, which allows ATP to properly take place and function to its full abilities within the human body.

However, there are concerns about the effects of adding more creatine into the human body than what is naturally produced within it. Some concerns listed by the Mayo Clinic include possible lower blood sugar levels, possible kidney toxicity, and abnormal heartrate for example.

These concerns however have not deterred many from Creatine products. Many athletes around the ever-growing world of athletics have still purchased Creatine products.

Athletes ranging from lacrosse players, to football players, to wrestlers, to bodybuilders are taking creatine and really noticing the effects that it takes on your body.

American International College freshman John Franks talked about his experience with Creatine.

“I took Creatine my senior year of high school and I really noticed the effects,” said Franks. “It made me gain a lot of muscle mass when I took it and it really improved my overall strength and how much weight I was able to lift,” Franks added.

Chris Papa also weighed in on the Creatine debate. “I tried Creatine my sophomore year of high school,” said Papa.

Papa noted how much it improved his overall lifts along with the increase of lean muscle mass. However, he also noted that once off Creatine it really affected him.

“Once I stopped taking it, I lost some of the mass I gained. I kept most of it, but still losing some of it was a bummer,” Papa said.

Overall, there are differing sides to the usage of Creatine. It has its ups and downs as far as overall gains from taking the product along with the possible downfalls due to the possible side effects of the product.

Some like it, some do not – in the end, it truly is up to the athlete.