The Future of Rajon Rondo

Chris Shephard, Staff Writer

After years of playing for the Boston Celtics and winning a NBA Championship back in 2008, Rajon Rondo may be headed out the door.

Rondo has made himself a problem off the court and a distraction. Granted he is a four time All-Star, he was selected 21st overall by the Phoenix Suns in 2006 NBA Draft. That same night Rondo was traded to the Celtics.

At the age of 28, Rondo has torn his ACL, won an NBA title, and he still believes that he deserves a maximum contract. This man is an 8-year veteran but he still needs to mature as a basketball player. He can’t stop yelling at the officials in the heat of the moment and when he does that he hurts his team more than he helps. With one more year left on his current contract, the Celtics have until the 2015 trade deadline to make a trade to move him.

American International College students say they believe Rondo’s time in Boston may have run its course.

Chris Johnson, an AIC freshman, has been watching the Celtics struggle all year and believes that it is time to deal Rondo.

“Rondo will be dealt in the offseason for more draft picks unless we get another young talent,” Johnson said.

Rondo has a lot of value but the Celtics are currently rebuilding and are in no competition for the NBA Championship this season. Any team would be lucky to have an All-Star point guard like him on their team. Boston just doesn’t need him and we are looking to move on but the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks, Dallas Mavericks, and even the Toronto Raptors could use him for next season.

An AIC sophomore, Cody Stone said Boston has run its course with Rondo but a trade will be hard to do.

“Rondo will stuck with the Celtics for the remainder of his contract and end up resigning before his ultimate departure,” Stone said.

AIC student Malik Copper, shared his view on Rajon Rondo.

“Rondo will be gone before his contract is up. He is unhappy so maybe it is time to move on,” Copper said.

The season is almost over and the playoffs will begin next month. This means that the NBA Draft is quickly approaching and Rondo’s fate could be sealed on draft night. June 26th could be the night the Celtics become winners or losers as Rondo is there biggest chip to move.