AIC Students give their spring break to help

Rebecca Gray, Staff Writer

Not all AIC students headed home or to hot vacation spots for spring break. In fact, a group of students chose to head to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and their Mission Rebuild, where volunteers help rebuild a tornado-damaged community.

The group of twelve spent nearly two days driving down to a volunteer camp run by Habitat for Humanity. They spent Monday through Friday working to build a home for a local family. It was a unique learning opportunity for students who may not have ever needed to lay tile, build railings, or install drywall before.

AIC’s Alternative Spring Break program encourages having a good time with good people working towards a great goal. The trip provides an opportunity to students to learn more about themselves through reflection of the world and communities around them. It enriches the lives of participants and those impacted by the service. This year’s group of students represented nearly all aspects of campus life and consisted of Residence Life Staff, athletes, Student    Government and Student Organization leaders and members, undergraduate students and graduate students, and several others.

Habitat for Humanity, the organization the students volunteered for, is an international organization devoted to building “simple, decent, and affordable housing.” The organization has chapters or affiliates all over the country, including one in Springfield. The particular chapter in Tuscaloosa has become increasingly active since the devastating tornado tore through Tuscaloosa in 2011.

According to the website of Habitat for Humanity Tuscaloosa, “Prior to the April 27, 2011 Tornado, Habitat Tuscaloosa had built an average of 2 houses per year. The need for affordable housing in the community sky rocketed after the devastation. Since the tornado, we have built over 40 houses and 13 in 2013 alone. Habitat Tuscaloosa is poised to play a critical role in rebuilding a better, stronger Tuscaloosa.”

When AIC students arrived, they met members of the organization who showed them around the worksite and also shared their stories of how they became involved with Habitat. One of the staff members shared his story of seeing the Tornado coming towards him as he stood in a high tower of Bryant-Denny Stadium, home of the Alabama Crimson Tide. He described it as one of the most terrifying sights he had ever seen.

The tornado not only tore apart houses, roads, bridges, traffic lights, and trees. It also separated families, friends, and pets. It destroyed people’s belongings and stole remnants of memories. It ruined homes and communities and left behind a sense of hopelessness. When the dust settled, people had no choice but to jump into action.

Habitat for Humanity has played a major role in helping families get back on their feet and bringing communities back together. AIC’s involvement in their efforts was meaningful and significant. Their combined efforts equal nearly 500 hours of service.

Junior AIC student Grace Belt was one of the twelve who participated in this extraordinary adventure.

“I loved doing habitat for humanity because I could see the before and after effect of what we were doing for these people,” Belt said. “Saying that I felt rewarded is an understatement. It was an extraordinary experience!

The Alternative Spring Breakers also made sure to take some time to enjoy the area. They shared a camp with students from Western Kentucky University and Duke University. They enjoyed real southern barbecue and embraced the tourist in all of them at the gift shops. At night when they were not building, they visited local malls, played laser tag, went bowling, and spent some time walking around the campus of University of Alabama (Roll Tide!). What lies in store for next year’s Alternative Spring Breakers is still unknown but the trip they made this year is sure to leave a lasting impact on each of them personally as well as the community of Tuscaloosa.