Summer job time is around the corner

Emin Kurbanzade, Staff writer

It is that time of year as the summer season is upon us and as schools and colleges are close to being done — and many students are having trouble finding summer jobs.

Summer Jobs are considered essential to the young adult life. But lately as the years have gone by and as the economy has declined rapidly summer jobs are extremely hard to find. National statistics show that about 3 out of 10 American teenagers will work as cashier registers, mow lawns, or working restaurant tables from the months June to August.

Summer Jobs have been declining since the year 2000 and in 2012 employment for teens between ages 16 and 19 fell lowest for the first time since the years of World War II.

Many teens and young adults will spend the summer months in school, at music or learning camps or in other activities geared for college.

But for students who cannot afford to make it to college they have very limited options on how to earn money. It is also estimated that 44 percent of teens who want summer jobs either don’t get them or don’t work as many hours as they would like.

Government projections show that for teens the U.S. labor force are expected to decline another 8 percentage points by 2020. By that time, young adults ages 16 to 24 will make up 11% of the labor force.

Scott Adams is an AIC student who will be cutting trees this summer to earn some income.

“I chop down trees in peoples yards and remove stumps,” Adams said. “It’s a thinking job. There is a lot of strategy to it because you don’t want to lay the trees on people’s power lines and fences. I also like it because it is out doors and it is good exercise.”

Adams has been cutting trees for three years. He also worked at Jiminy Peak Ski Resort in the Berkshires.

Sumer jobs2During his time there he ran the aerial adventure park obstacle courses where people would climb trees and he would rescue them if they were afraid to climb down.

It was his first job that he applied to at the age of 14.

He said the tree cutting job is exciting risky business and he gets paid twice as much Jiminy Peak job

“There are more people to deal with,” he explained.

Wendy Howard, another AIC student, said she is planning to get a summer job at her old Italian restaurant called Enteca Maria in Staten Island NY or find a summer office job.

Howard’s job at the restaurant is to help assist the Noni’s because at times they can get carried away.

“I want to get the summer job because I don’t want to rely on my parents and want to be independent as much as I can be,” she said.

Her advice to people would be to find a summer job as soon as possible and that hard work pays off.

These two individuals have shown that they are hard working people who are trying to manage their adult life.

Any job in this day and age and this economy is still a job and making your own dollar is always important because bills need to be paid.