Beating Down those End-of-Semester Blues

Finals week has everyone stressed out.

Elizabeth Baker

Finals week has everyone stressed out.

Angie Gheen and Amber Girouard

As the fall semester begins to wind down, most students are thinking of two important things: holidays and vacation! Along with this fun comes the stress with last-minute exams and projects, as well as finals. The week before finals is a very stressful one. Everywhere on campus you see students studying, working on last minute projects and papers, pounding down coffee to stay awake, and pulling all-nighters just to study.

Many enjoy unwinding in the Campus Center lounge.
Tasheyah Thomas

Many students are starting to feel the pressure that comes along with the ending of the semester.

AIC junior Emily Cormier describes how the last few weeks of the semester are winding down.

“Even though the semester is slowing down, the amount of work is still steady. A lot of time now will be spent on last-minute studying and preparing for my many finals,” Cormier said.

But there is help.

Carol Moran-Brown, senior director of the Counseling Center at Champlain College in Burlington, Vt., provided some tips, in an article in The Huffington Post, on how to deal with the stress during finals week. The first suggestion is to exercise.

Exercise, she wrote, “helps you focus, it gives you additional energy, and it releases endorphins to make you feel better. In order to make deadlines, stick to 15-30 minutes of exercise a day. If you must, bring a book to study while you’re on the exercise bike or treadmill.”

During finals week many students may find that they are not getting enough sleep and are not eating right because they are just grabbing something quick and on the go. According to Moran-Brown, “eating nutritious foods will energize you and increase your concentration and retention.”

Try to avoid eating empty calories from junk food because these foods may give you instant energy but it will affect your concentration and results in a crash at the end. If eating from home or the dining commons try grabbing some fruits and vegetables to snack on instead. They contain healthy vitamins and minerals to give you energy to keep you going and prevent you from getting sick.

Another tip is to use study groups.

Try learning the material first by yourself, then get a study group together with a few people. This is a good way to get different perspectives and observations. Getting a group together and going to a study room in the Shea library on campus or a library around home can really help you focus and learn more in an environment that is motivating and quiet.

The library is always a popular study spot
Luke Allen

To relieve some stress during a cram session of studying for finals, Moran-Brown suggests calling up a friend or a close family member. Talking things out is an immediate stress reliever especially if you are talking to a friend that is also going through the same thing, because you know you are not alone.

Staying hydrated is very important because your brain works best when it is hydrated. Dehydration “causes fatigue and headaches, which will distract you from your work. Caffeine dehydrates you more, so for every coffee you have, have a glass or bottle of water; your body and mind will thank you.”

If you find that you are having a really hard time dealing with the stress, visit the counseling center. American International College offers confidential counseling services to all students. Just call or drop by to make an appointment.

“The Dexter Counseling Center offers a broad range of programs and services to assist students in dealing with life’s challenges and stresses before they become insurmountable,” the center’s brochure proudly states.