Tom Brady is back, shines in return

Angie Gheen, Staff Writer

Tom Brady is back!

The anticipation is finally over. A solid 3-1 record to start the first few weeks of the season gave Brady and the New England Patriots the edge they need to dominate the rest of the season.

In his absence, the Pats had the NFL’s number 1 rushing attack through the first three games, with 452 yards. Running back LeGarrette Blount has 352 rushing yards, according to ESPN.com.

Thanks to his fellow teammates, season-long projections have increased significantly. As of October 7, the Patriots have an 76.6 percent chance of winning the AFC East division, compared to a 59.1 percent chance during the preseason, as well as a 95.8 percent chance of making the playoffs. This is compared to a 71.2 percent chance in preseason.

Although not incredible, they have increased their chances of winning the Super Bowl almost twofold, from 12 to 21.5 percent.

Brady came back with a vengeance in Week 5 against the 0-4 Cleveland Browns. He didn’t miss a beat in his return, as the Patriots defeated the Browns 33-13.

tom-bradyBrady went 28-40, good for 406 yards and 3 touchdowns.

AIC junior Raffaele Albano described how excited he is to see Brady return.

“This has been a long time coming,” Albano stated. “I am wicked excited to see Brady play in the games coming up. He’s had a good rest up until this point, and I know he’s ready to take the Patriots to the Super Bowl this February.”

Former college teammate Aaron Shea described how the DeflateGate suspension has fired him up.

“This is only going to make Tom better,” Shea told ESPN. “It’s going to hurt the other 31 teams because Tom is healthy, he didn’t have to take any hits the first four games, and now he’s angry.”

Although not a Patriots fan, AIC graduate student Kyle Dorsey described how unfair it is that Brady was suspended.

“Although I am not a fan of Brady, it is absolutely ridiculous that the commissioner suspended Brady for just as long as other NFL players who made much more serious offenses,” Dorsey said. “He is definitely coming back with a vengeance this week, in order to stick it to Roger Goodell.”

The game against the winless Browns gives not only an opportunity for the Pats to bounce back, but for Brady to dominate the offense.

According to NESN.com, the Pats have rocked the Browns, winning five out of the six straight up – meaning a team’s overall record, without factoring in the spread. The odds are definitely in New England’s favor this time, especially with the return of the ‘G.O.A.T.’

AIC senior Paul Rodrigues discussed his eagerness about the return of the ‘G.O.A.T.’

“Brady is the greatest quarterback ever, so it has been very difficult to not see him playing the past few weeks,” Rodrigues said. “However, I know that he is ready to come back, dominating the field, and take our team to the Super Bowl.”

These 30 days without Brady have been rough for Pats fans everywhere, but we can all agree that they held their own very well.

He can be a little at ease coming back, based on the 3-1 record in the first four games. Aside from the loss against the Buffalo Bills in Week 4, a 23-21 win over the Arizona Cardinals, 31-24 win over the Miami Dolphins, and a crushing 27-0 win against the Houston Texans can give Brady not only the confidence in Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett, but an extra confidence boost in not having to start Week 5 without a win under the Patriot’s belt.

It may not be a breeze for the Patriots in the games to come, but it will be a lot easier with Brady back in the lineup.