17 years later, Pokemon Movie returned to theaters

Shiane Wilkins, Staff Writer

The Pokemon franchise has done it once again by bringing Pokemon: The First Movie back to theaters from October 29 to November 1!

The movie was only featured in select movie theaters all over the United States, which totaled over 200 theaters, from its first release of the movie in 1999 about 17 years ago.

The movie included a bonus short film called Pikachu’s Vacation and Mewtwo Strikes Back as celebration of its 20th anniversary. The admission of the movie only cost $5, which is a cheaper price as opposed to the prices of an ordinary movie ticket that cost around $8.

Despite the fact that the admission price was so low and that the movie included a bonus clip, it still was not enough to gain the popularity from critics and fans around the United States.

As the hit and miss movie was played in theaters the official Pokemon website was the first to post about the movie, eventually spreading across the web, but the news did not last long.

American International College student, Phil Harper gave his honest opinion about the re-release of the fim.

“I didn’t even know it was in theaters! The movie was badly advertised!” Harper said. “I usually get all my news sources from apps or Facebook and I never saw anything about the movie being re-released into theaters!”

“I would have honestly gone to the movie, if I had known about it,” added Harper, who was surprised to hear about the re-release of this film. “It was so cheap too, only five dollars for a ticket.”

The large Pokemon franchise relased Pokemon Go in July 2016, with crashes and purchases left and right. People craved to play the new game.

As the Pokemon: The First Movie Remastered played in theaters, the new Pokemon game Pokemon Sun and Moon will be releasing soon to 3DS.

As celebration, this would have sold a lot of tickets with no problem as people today crave Pokemon.

The company failed to realize the biggest problem with the remastered version that Demetria Wood, a student at American International College, had thought of.

“Why should I watch the movie in theaters again if I already have the movie and can watch it for free at home?” Wood stated.

This definitely hurt the movie’s shot of getting back in theaters for a limited time, as it has been out for a long time and old time fans have seen it before.

Whether it is remastered or not, it’s the same movie as it was in 1999.