Jerrod Shelby: big city, small dreams record setter

Devonte’ Dillion, Staff Writer

Coming from the rural streets of Brockton, Mass., it’s very easy to get involved into the negativity that the city may bring.

But for some, they’ll find an outlet that creates opportunity to leave the city to pursue a degree and create limitless connections. Often that outlet begins through sports.

Jerrod Shelby is an example of excellence that’ll come through capitalizing on opportunity and making the best out of what is presented.

Jerrod was a slim 6’4 kid who played basketball and football in high school but wasn’t a starter until his senior year. Ironically, the reason he wasn’t starting was because he was a backup to his older brother, Jon Shelby, who later went on to play college football at Akron University in Ohio.

Growing up, Jerrod never got the attention he felt he deserved, whether that was from his parents or coaches because of the spotlight of his older brother.

Through only one season of starting varsity football, Jerrod was able to put together some good film and was able to gather interest from many Division I programs such as University of Massachusetts, University of Connecticut and Boston College, but due to a low GPA he wasn’t eligible to get accepted into any of these schools.

screen-shot-2016-12-01-at-7-48-26-amFinding a college was challenging, many schools wouldn’t necessarily accept a student with such a low GPA and nevertheless allow them to play collegiate football.

American International College was the only school to offer him a full athletic scholarship.

“It was truly a blessing to be offered a full ride to play the game I love, and I know with that being said it was an opportunity for me to show what I’m about,” said Shelby.

Coming into college, every kid has expectations to start immediately and make an impact to their team.

But for the AIC program, head coach Art Wilkins often times redshirts 95% of the incoming freshman so that they’ll have the opportunity to attend graduate school after their 4th year while still having the 5th year of eligibility on the field.

Going into the 2012-2013 season, Jerrod was redshirted his first year, but used this year as mental preparation for what was to come.

“Many times when kids don’t come in and play immediately, they get discouraged,” Jerrod noted. “I wasn’t one of those, instead I was able to use this time to see what the game speed was like, watch film, speak to some of the older guys at my position and learn more about the game.”

Before Jerrod’s time, he was behind some notable players to play the linebacker position at American International College: Jaquawne Simpkins who was the 2013 NE-10 Defensive MVP and 3 times NE-10 All- Conference, and Demetrius Steed who made the NE-10 All-Conference team 4 times.

“Although I had some great players who played before me, I didn’t feel any pressure. I was more so concerned about proving to myself that I was as good as I thought I was,” said Shelby.

The 2014-15 season is when Jerrod got his first official start at outside linebacker, his presence was heard and felt from every opponent the Yellow Jackets faced.

He finished the season with 106 tackles, 9.6 tackles per game, 5.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 pass break ups.

“Going into next season I knew it was necessary to improve on our weaknesses as a team so we could be better than what we were that season,” said Shelby

The Yellow Jackets finished the 2015 season 4-7 and Jerrod received first team All-Conference.

The Yellow Jackets lost many players going into the 2016 season such as middle linebacker Steed, so Shelby went from outside linebacker to middle linebacker.

With that adjustment, Jerrod went on to say, “it wasn’t much of a change to me to be honest, once you’re a linebacker whether inside or out you’re a linebacker. A dog will be a dog regardless wherever you put it, so that was my mentality.”

Unfortunately the Yellow Jackets finished this season with the same record of 4-7.

But Jerrod was able to accomplish something that no player in the history of American International College has done.

He finished this season with 110 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2 interceptions and 2 sacks.

He is the first player in the history of the program to gather 100+ tackles in back to back season.

Congratulations on a great career at AIC; the Yellow Jackets will certainly feel the impact of losing a player of his capability.

Going forward, Jerrod will be waiting for an All-Star game invitation and the possibility of entering the 2017 NFL Draft.14733210_221556474923046_5535201963861344256_n