77th Annual Model Congress set to convene January 5

Delegates in committee style debates in Amaron Hall.

Rebecca Gray, Student Body President

Model Congress staff moderate the emergency debate at the Sheraton Hotel downtown.

Over Winter Break, AIC will host its 77th Annual Model Congress for regional high school students. This is the longest continuously running simulated congress in the nation and has received national recognition. Also, it is almost entirely run by AIC students.

To participate in the Model Congress, high school students work with advisors to develop bills or formal laws that they would like to see enacted. They spend the fall semester debating these bills and preparing to submit them to the Model Congress. In early January, they attend the conference on campus with many other high schools.

This year, there is expected to be around 140 students competing and debating around 30 bills. Previous topics that have been debated include the legalization of marijuana, increased gun control, mandating certain courses in high school, and solutions to the drunk driving problem in America. Each competing student has the opportunity to win a full tuition scholarship to AIC for four years.

Our own professors serve as the judges and our students are behind the execution of the conference. AIC students return to campus for the first week in January to train and practice moderating debate and working on final behind the scenes preparation work.

A longstanding tradition on campus, the 77th Model Congress is sure to be a success and something for the AIC community to be proud of.