Tragedy at Ohio State University

Tragedy at Ohio State University

Matthew Robidoux, Staff Writer

Late last month, on November 28, an Ohio State University student carried out an attack on campus that left eleven injured.

Media reports indicated that according to federal law enforcement officials, the student was “sick and tired” of seeing fellow Muslims “killed and tortured” in a recent Facebook post.

That student, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, carried out his rampage by ramming his vehicle into a group of students who were walking across campus. Shortly after, he was seen getting out of the vehicle and began to chase others with a butcher knife.

Abdul was stopped, however, by Ohio State Police Officer Alan Horujko. Horujko shot Abdul three times after he refused to follow orders to cease his violence.

Abdul’s rampage ended quite shortly, in less than two minutes to be precise, all thanks to Horujko’s quick actions.

CNN reported thaohio-state-logot “many credited the school’s active shooter training and the campus alert system for helping the community maintain order while the scene was secured. Ohio State’s Columbus campus is one of the largest in the United States, with 59,482 registered students attending classes on the sprawling urban campus.”

CNN also reported that “At 9:55 a.m., the school sent out a campus alert reporting an active shooter incident.”

“Buckeye Alert: Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College,” Ohio State Emergency Management tweeted at 9:56 a.m.

“The executor of the attack in the American state of Ohio is a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried out the operation in response to calls to target citizens of international coalition countries,” a claim issued by the Amaq news agency said.

With ties to ISIS, this can create a even larger conflict with the terrorist group. Only time will tell how our country, the students of Ohio State University, and those affected by the rampage of Abdul will overcome this act of terrorism.