AIC rugby in full force at Junior All-Americans camp in California

Tommy Hunkin-Clark, Nic Franklyn, Matty Jones

Kayla Clark, Staff Writer

The AIG U20’s Junior All-Americans developmental camp was held January 13-16, 2017 at the Chula Vista Elite Training Center in San Diego, Calif., and AIC was there in full force.

Freshman Tommy Hunkin-Clark and sophomore Nic Franklyn were picked for the U20’s Junior All-American. Also selected was junior Matty Jones, but for the Collegiate level because of his age. All three men attend and play rugby for American International College.

At the All-American camp Clark and Franklyn were coached by JD Stephenson. Stephenson and AIG All-American staff work with Clark and Franklyn and the 48 other men at the Chula Vista Elite Training Center.

With camps for the rugby All-Americans, the men come from all over the country picked to do one thing — which is play rugby. Whether they play high school, club, or college, there are selections for all age groups.

For the group U20’s that Clark and Franklyn are in is all ages 20 and under. Then there is a collegiate level coached by Gavan Hickie with 57 athletes including Matty Jones to identify the under 23 national team.

Just to be invited to the USA rugby All-Americans is hard enough. To get invited, you have to have real talent and a coach that is willing to help you get exposed.

Once chosen, you are expected to pay for your own cost like camp fee’s, transportation, food, and other essentials. For some family’s that can be easy but for most it can be hard to come across, especially when you’re a college student.

Clark’s process with everything cost wise was to fundraise with a GoFundMe account that he set up. With doing so he had to reach out to people about helping him reach his goal.

“I was patient and hoped for the best to reach my goal,” said Clark.

Noted Franklyn, “It was difficult to the get the money but I have my ways.”

Clark and Franklyn were put to training as soon as they stepped foot in San Diego. They were put together when 50 of them were split into two teams.

“Splitting into teams helped to build chemistry with the people on the team and build a bond to play better,” said Franklyn.

The experience for both of them was similar, and they both took something away from the camp.

“Someone who helped me at my position ‘flank’ was coach Rob Randell, he mad me improve on my gameplay,” said Clark.

Experience wise, at such young ages (both at age 19) they both enjoyed to be around multiple cultures of rugby.

“I enjoyed this experience of being one of my opportunities to go to this camp to evolve my rugby skills,” said Franklyn.

“Definitely playing at the next level with the coaches there I took a lot out of the camp to help my game play I hope that I will get another chance like this” added Clark.

For the both of these men it was just a great accomplishment and hope to see them go further and bigger in USA rugby.