Review: “Split,” a compelling film

Matthew Robidoux, Staff Writer

The new psycho-thriller “Split” has been recently released in theatres. The film by M. Night Shyamalan ushers in a comeback of sorts for the mind behind the film.

James McAvoy plays a man named Kevin, who struggles with psychiatric problems. More specifically, he suffers from dissociative identity disorder. Kevin has twenty-three different identities living within him, all struggling to take control or “come into the light” as some of his identities call it.

The film begins at the scene of a high school birthday party, mainly revolving around three girls, Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy), Claire (Haley Lu Richardson), and Marcia (Jessica Sula). While the girls wait in the car, one of Kevin’s identities “Dennis” kidnaps them. Dennis then takes them to what would appear to be a bunker.

After getting to the bunker, Dennis instructs the girls to take off their clothes. When questioned about why they should, Dennis informs the girls that they are merely “sacred food” – thus, sending chills down the girls’ spines. While Claire and Marcia are frightened and nervous about what their next move should be, Casey remains calm and begins to theorize how she is going to get herself as well as Claire and Marcia out of their impending doom.

Throughout the film, there are flashbacks that show Casey’s childhood. The memories affect her deeply emotionally as well as showing that she has secrets that she has hidden from everyone; some that she has put back so deep inside her sub-conscious that when brought up, she completely freezes and breaks down.

As the film progresses more of Kevin’s twenty-three identities become prevalent. Identities such as “Miss Patricia” as well as a nine-year old boy “Hedwig” come into play. Hedwig reveals at one point that he has a window in his room, but he is not allowed to have anyone in his room or Miss Patricia and Dennis will get upset with him again.

Casey might have a way to coax Hedwig into helping her as well as Marcia and Claire escape their imprisonment.

We as viewers soon will see the true terror that developed these identities into Kevin, the trauma he had gone through that developed into his current state. A theory of a twenty-fourth identity is soon brought up by “Barry,” one of Kevin’s identities who happens to be a fashion-savvy identity that comes out when he goes to his meetings with his psychologist, Dr. Fletcher (played by Betty Buckley).

Many students at American International College have already seen the movie and can’t get enough of it.

“The film kept me on the edge of my seat, I would definitely go see it again,” said Matthew Sayegh.

Throughout the rest of the film, Shyamalan brings us through immense twists and turns. We learn about Caseys chilling childhood, what truly can happen if Kevin can “unlock” the twenty-fourth identity, and the fate of the girls. One can say that this film proves that Shyamalan still has it.