Another year, another homecoming!

Amber Ollari, Staff Writer

Excitement spread throughout the AIC community as Homecoming weekend arrived.

Students flocked to the Ronald J. Abdow Field to catch a couple of the Alumni games, and to nearby parking lots for pre-game tailgating Saturday morning.

On Friday, the Hall of Fame induction took place in the Hall of Fame Room in Butova Gym. The induction started at 6:00pm and included outstanding athletes from assorted years.

Gavin Checci, a freshman at AIC, was enthusiastic about Homecoming.

“I’m excited to be at homecoming. It’s pretty fun,” said Checci.

There was plenty of fun at AIC’s homecoming weekend, but fans and players took the game seriously.

Parking lots around the field were packed with people and were filling up early in anticipation of the festivities.

Coming upon the Homecoming scene, it felt lively and everyone had fantastic energy. You could feel a great sense of pride radiating from students, faculty, and alumni. At noon, the Yellow Jackets faced LIU Post and fans poured in to support our team.

Action on the field.

Nia Harris, the manager for the AIC football team, had some great things to say about the weekend.

“There’s high energy from the team and I hope we come up on top! I’m happy to see the Alumni and that AIC is giving us this opportunity to be supportive of our school and to have fun,” Harris said.

Saturday’s tailgating event was very popular among attendees. Pregame and Postgame activities were accompanied by food, drinks, and music as tailgaters played games and chatted. It was great to see how much fun everyone was having.

Halftime took an exciting turn when two AIC alums, Belky Rodriguez and Casey Hines, got engaged.

In addition, once tailgaters relocated to Abdow field, they could join in on the barbecue located under the Alumni Varsity Club tent.

Annie Norton, a junior at AIC, talked about her homecoming experience.

“I loved homecoming! My favorite part was seeing old and current students come together. It was refreshing to see everyone merge to celebrate something we all have common – being Yellow Jackets,” Norton said. “The best activity was being with everyone at the tailgate where faculty, students, and administration all in one lot.”

AIC Football alums got together for fun and a photo.

Supporters poured in to the bleachers to watch the Yellow Jackets face off with LIU-Post. By halftime fans were witness to an exciting moment for two AIC Alumni, a proposal! Belky Rodriguez-Otero and Casey Hines, who began dating their freshman year at AIC, came back to AIC to add to their memories from their time as Yellow Jackets.

Unfortunately, LIU-Post beat the Yellow Jackets 70-21, but AIC fought hard! Also, The AIC Field Hockey team played Merrimack with great effort but lost 4-0.

Some AIC parents made an appearance this weekend as well, as many congregated to the bleachers and others were taking in the dynamic homecoming scene.

The homecoming events on Saturday came to a close with the AIC vs Bentley University Women’s Volleyball match, which took place in Butova Gym, AIC won with a score of 3-2! A reception and dinner was held at 6:00 for the Alumnus milestone classes. The Alumni later invaded the Stinger for a memorable after party.

Sunday’s wind down included a “Hangover Brunch,” The NE10 Cross Country Championships, and the last Alumni game to conclude the 2017 AIC Homecoming weekend.

This year’s Homecoming brought new and old together with fun activities and celebration.

The air was filled with gratification and joy while everyone was adoring their time with their colleagues.

Overall, it’s always great to see all the Yellow Jackets in one place, making memories and new friendships.

It is college after all!