AIC’s Art and Innovation Lab: gadgets and tools galore!

Zach Bednarczyk

Introducing the Art and Innovation Lab, presented by the AIC Communication department.

Zach Bednarczyk, Staff Writer

Everyone loves to play with and use new gadgets to aid them in work or in everyday life. Now, many new tools are going to be available to AIC students through the Art and Innovation Lab.

The Art and Innovation Lab is located in the bottom of Dining Commons in room DC003, right next to the WAIC Radio Studio. The goal for the lab is to integrate new and emerging technology with student’s projects, as well as assist students with ideas that they may need help with.

John Nordell, the Communication Department’s Visual and Digital Arts professor, was the driving force behind creating the lab. He said it is a work in progress that promises hold outstanding learning tools for students who will face an ever-changing array of technology in the world.

“The goal of the Art and Innovation Lab is for students to use the latest technologies to create useful and innovative projects,” said Nordell. “My hope is that Communication students and Visual/Digital Arts students will use the tools to solve professional, creative problems.”

Two of the biggest additions to the lab more recently have been a 3D printer and a drone.

The 3D printer has a scanner as well that is capable of scanning medium sized objects and turning them into very accurate 3D prints.

The drone on the other hand has a top of the line camera and safety features for those who wish to learn how to fly, or use aerial images to improve their project.

Already, students have been in the lab, getting acquainted with the drone and using the printer to create three-dimensional products such as phone covers and tops. The potential points to many more creations.

As well as having physical tools, the Art and Innovation Lab is also home to many powerful software tools, such as Photoshop and Final Cut Pro, for students who need help in the digital realm of projects.

Nadia Ciubotaru, a senior majoring in Communications, said she looks forward to the lab’s full opening next semester.

“I hope the lab is something they can use in the real world and help them in their careers and achieve their career goals,” said Nadia. “I particularly want to learn how to use the drone.”

Although primarily serving a purpose for Communication’s students, the lab is open to anyone who need may need help in the field of photo/video editing, to those who want to learn a new trick or a tip to add to their skills.

“Ultimately we hope to serve the campus at large,” said Nordell.

The plan for the Art and Innovation Lab is to expand its use and reach out to students who want to have a different approach to tackling assignments and projects.

“I believe that making things is a form of empowerment,” said Nordell. “By developing the skills to inventively create and overcome projects, students will be empowered to invent themselves and their futures.”

For the rest of the semester, the lab is open after 6 p.m. or whenever the door is open. There will be an updated schedule for next semester available on the door during the first week of classes. No need to book an appointment, just come on by and swing on in!