Texas shooting and public events

Emilee Giacondino, Staff Writer

On November 5, a gunman opened fire in a small church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. The gunman was Devin Patrick Kelley, 26, and he killed 26 people and injured at least 20 more.

The deaths ranged from the ages of 18 months to 77 years old. Sutherland Springs is home to only about 400 people, and Kelley claimed multiple members of families’ lives.

Devin Patrick Kelley lived in New Braunfels, which is about 35 miles from the small Texas church. Kelley received a bad conduct discharge from the Air Force for assaulting his spouse and child and was sentenced to 12-months confinement after a 2012 court-martial. Kelley’s in-laws even attended the Sutherland Springs church from time to time.

Kelley walked down the aisle of First Baptist Church and fired his assault rifle. As he was leaving the building, Kelley continued to shoot.

With the news of another mass shooting, many citizens across the country are afraid to leave their homes. Mass shootings have been part of our society for the last 50 years in the United States, which is more than anywhere in the entire world.

Between Jan. 1 and Nov. 12, some 388 people were killed in mass shootings in the United States, according to MassShootingTracker.org.

With the news of the attacks, it will keep some people in their homes for months. Most people do not think much about what they would do in the case of a mass shooting. However, today the possibility has become much more likely.

Parents and people are scared to live their everyday lives. Shootings have occurred in nightclubs, churches, festivals, concerts, schools, and the list continues. People are scared to go out and have fun with friends and family. People are scared to go worship and get their education.

At AIC, the reactions range from stunned to scared.

Freshman Natalee Giacondino admitted her sense of well-being has changed lately, thanks to mass shootings.

“It definitely makes me nervous and scared to go out with everything going on in the world,” Giacondino said.

Fellow freshman Brianna O’Brien shared her thoughts on her uneasiness related to the mass shootings.

“Knowing a shooting can happen anywhere and the fact that they are happening more often, leaves an unsettling feeling with me when I go out,” O’Brien said.

Students tend to have the same response; scared to go out and have a good time.

Senior Allie Roy gave her opinion on the situation.

“It sucks knowing children can’t go to school, or people can’t go to church without having a mass shooting in the back of their minds,” said Roy.

Today’s world has changed dramatically, and the few mass shootings have now turned into an absurd amount.