AIC Yellow Jacket

Being honest, with lights off

Back to Article
Back to Article

Being honest, with lights off

Samira Abdul-Karim, Staff writer

The typical excuse for the common college student when discussing plans for the evening is always “There’s never anything to do”.

Fortunately for us, many individuals and organizations are taking the initiative to break down that mentality.

On a recent night, Resident Director Imani Bryant hosted Sex In The Dark. It was held in Griswold Theater at AIC, where tons of students gathered with excitement. Early at that because word spread first 50 participants would receive a giveaway bag. As student received their glow sticks, the YJ received the inside scoop on the event from Imani Bryant.

“The event was something that was recreated from last year,” Bryant said.

“From my understanding last year was a big turn out, around 100 plus people. Since it was so successful, I had hoped and expected the same number for attendance. I honestly, did not know what to expect because it was my first program. Developing the questions was a struggle because I wanted it to be entertaining but also abide by college policy, as well as include various identities in the questions,” she added.

As the event proceeded, you could feel a new comfort within the auditorium. It was as if the darkness and glow sticks gave us all new identities and helped us be our true selves without being judged by our peers.

Much was covered, with questions of insecurities, relationships, love and experiences. Arms were up and down the whole night.

Sophomore Jaz’Myne Meade said she appreciated the frank talk.

“At the end when serious questions were asked about sexual assault and do we stand against it, everyone’s glow sticks were in the air. It shows that we are united as a student body when it comes to certain things,” Meade said.

Kei’Shairra Jackson, President of the Plus Organization, said the event was intended to promote unity and share useful information.

“For it being new staff is was fun but they don’t know us, the student, enough to make it better than the year before and to ask the questions that got asked last year,” Jackson said. “It’s great that the questions got ask to us so we thought about the things going on, on our campus and with each other. My favorite question was the question about being in love cause last year they didn’t do that.”

Overall the event was definitely an evening to enjoy with your peers. The turn out was much bigger than last year and the energy radiated with positivity throughout the evening.

Imani Bryant had some final thoughts for us after the program.

“Moving forward, I think next year, I would like to add an education component behind the questions, I would also like to double the numbers in attendance as well,” she said.

Take advantage of the new Corq, or even stop by in student engagement see what’s going on.

Clubs and organizations are always trying to give back to the students and keep them involved as a student body we must continue seizing the day. Take every opportunity because we never know how beneficial it could be, educationally or even just a breath of fresh air away from your studying.