Safety at big events — are we ever truly safe?

Yasmine Graziani, Staff Writer

In 2017, in the era of modern society, a large part of the population wants to relax and have a good time after a long day.

This is reflected in particular by the increase of big events and large crowds, like at concerts, sporting events or carnivals.

However, the number of terrorist attacks and assaults – especially in sporting events and lately, even in churches and at concerts – have also made people dramatically alter the way they feel and act in big crowds.

As a result, more and more people no longer feel safe outside and at events.

Are their concerns legitimate? Is security during large events sufficient?

Nowadays, the security measures are always more important because the number of attacks are constantly increasing. Unfortunately, we are witnessing more and more violent attacks, often with several victims.

Three AIC students with very different profiles shared their thoughts on safety in these times.

Marlene Patipwe, an Accounting student from Congo who is only 17 years-old, said her it is important to enjoy life while keeping an attentive mind.

“Whether on campus or in big events, I’m careful because even with security nothing is sure,” said Patipwe. Despite her young age she is aware of the risks, as nobody is completely safe outside.

Andre Rolim, a 24 year-old Business major, shared his thoughts on security at events.

“I believe that even the best security in the world can’t stop something bad for happening during an event,” said Rolim. From his perspective, if a bad thing has to happen, security will not change that. He adds, “the best way I can feel secure at a big event is if I know most of the people there.” Rolim feels better when he is surrounded by people of trust.

Fellow Business major Jared Manson, a 23 year-old, gives us a similar opinion.

“Anything can happen at anytime because anyone could be willing to harm innocent people,” Manson said. Nevertheless, he adds, “I cannot live in fear, I continue to appreciate with attention.”

These three testimonies are alike – their thoughts reflect what the vast majority of the population thinks.

In conclusion, a lot of people do not feel totally safe in big events. Security cannot prevent a disaster from happening, but it can slow down or reduce the damages.

Even if security seems to be effective, always be vigilant. On the other hand, people do not want to live in fear and stay at home. Big events are always full, it’s like a way to show that attacks and aggression do not prevent them from living and they will continue to enjoy them.