AIC Yellow Jacket

78th annual Model Congress a success

Samira Abdul-Karim, Staff Writer

High school students seeking to establish themselves in positions such as future lawmakers convened at American International College’s 78th annual Model Congress from January 11 through January 13.

Founded in 1940, this is the longest-running simulated Congress of its type in the nation. During this three-day conference at AIC, students involved in the mock legislative process were given the opportunity to earn a variety of scholarships, including up to fully paid tuition for four years.

In order to participate, each student teams up with advisors and teachers to carefully craft bills and constitutional amendments with their inspirations stemming from current legislation. There was focus on world events they feel should gain more attention to impact society.

Seventeen outstanding scholars from AIC gathered a few days earlier to prepare for the legislative festivities. Countless hours were spent educating new members as well as old, on policies and protocols for the conference.

“This year I had the pleasure of serving as the Model Congress advisor,” Theresa Johnson, Director of Student Engagement, proclaimed.

“It was my first time witnessing Model Congress,” she added. “I have planned many events; however, Model Congress impacted me in so many ways. From watching the Model Congress staff learn the ins and outs of debating in such a short time to handing out well-deserved awards to the winners, I am very proud of the MC staff for working so hard in such a short amount of time to make the 78th Model Congress event a success.”

As all of the groups began to arrive at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Springfield, the Model Congress staff ensured all institutions were greeted and directed to the appropriate chambers.

Anxious delegates filled the conference room, awaiting those three bangs of the gavel initiating the start of the 2018 Model Congress.

Haley Lassiter, President of the MoCo board, was pleased with the event.

“It was really great this year,” Lassiter said. “We had a number of thought-provoking bills. The winning bill required drug testing on welfare recipients. Another sought to place a ban on animal-testing.”

Lassiter added, “we had many intelligent delegates who participated officially in debate, but also some very promising observers. We included an extra observer session this year, which provided those observers with plenty of opportunities to show their debate skills. I look forward to hearing the topics of debate that come forward next year.”

It was easy to see how comfortable the delegates began to get once the conference was on the way.

By the second day, everyone was settled and pleading their cases.

Hearing the different perceptions of these scholars was so amazing because the knowledge they were exhorting made you forget they were high school students.

Ending the conference, MoCo staff hosted the award banquet, where all the delegates were relieved to have completed the extensive workload, and anticipating the results to bring the 78th Model Congress to a close.

As the placing began, the recipient of the Outstanding Delegation award was given to SABIS A, from SABIS International Charter School. In first place, receiving the Kathryn Mauke Memorial Scholarship was delegate #31, Althea Brennan, from Chatham High School.

Second place went to delegate #15, Nicholas Audette of SABIS, and third place was awarded to delegate #13, Trevaughn Smith, also a SABIOS student. Destiny Hull, delegate #32 and also a student at Chatham High School, took home fourth place.

In addition, Chatham High School took home more hardware with the Rebecca Gray Spirit Award, named in honor of the enthusiastic AIC alum and former Model Congress President.

Overall the conference definitely was beneficial to all of the participants, in preparing them and engaging with other peers aiming to make change to better society.

AIC senior Dante Raggio, Student Body President, praised all involved.

“It is always an honor to serve on the staff of AIC’s Model Congress,” Raggio said. “This year’s event was a blast for myself and the delegates. For the students of AIC, Model Congress provides us an opportunity to continue the oldest continuous tradition on campus as well as opportunities to mentor high school students in the areas of politics and debate.”

Getting involved in opportunities like Model Congress, opens up doors some may have never even turned the knob for.

It is important to take risk, and stand up for things we believe in. MoCo 2018 showed me to never stop SEEKING THE FLOOR!