Super Bowl LII recap

Emilee Gioncondino, Staff Writer

MINNEAPOLIS, MINN. – On Sunday, February 4, the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles went head to head in the 52nd Super Bowl at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.

The Patriots were led by quarterback Tom Brady, while the Eagles were led by quarterback Nick Foles. Foles, the backup QB filling the void left by Carson Wentz’ season-ending knee injury, led the underdog Eagles to a thrilling 41-33 victory.

Streeter Lecka
in Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium on February 4, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

This was the Philadelphia Eagles first-ever Super Bowl win.

At AIC, students expressed a variety of opinions.

Senior Allie Roy stated, “I was very disappointed about the Super Bowl due to myself being a huge New England Patriots fan, however, it was a good game.”

The Super Bowl pre-game consisted of Pink performing the “Star Spangled Banner,” after Leslie Odom Jr. performed “America the Beautiful.” No players from both the Patriots and the Eagles were observed kneeling during the National Anthem.

Justin Timberlake headlined the Super Bowl LII halftime show, along with his band “The Tennessee Kids.” The University of Minnesota marching band also appeared alongside Timberlake and his band.

Timberlake has appeared in two previous Super Bowls: Super Bowl XXXV in 2001 as a member of NSYNC, and Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004 as part of his infamous appearance with Janet Jackson. Timberlake sang along side a projection of Prince, who was a Minneapolis native.

AIC freshman Natalee Giacondino gave the show a thumbs-up for the most part.

“The halftime show was good, however, it seemed like there was more dancing than an actual performance,” she said.

NBC broadcasted Super Bowl LII, as part as an annual cycle between the partners of the NFL. Online streams of the Super Bowl were also provided by NBC, and on many mobile devices and apps. Dan Patrick and Liam McHugh served as the lead hosts for NBC’s pregame coverage, before handing things over to the broadcast tandem of Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth.

As for the much-anticipated Super Bowl commercials, Anheuser-Busch as it has done in previous Super Bowls purchased multiple commercials in the game, advertising Bud Light, Stella Artois and Michelob Ultra.

Other advertisers included the Coca Cola company, and avocados from Mexico. T- Mobile aired a minute long ad with actress Kerry Washington and babies from various ethnic backgrounds. In the ad, Washington talks about the babies being born with natural instincts of love and not racism calling them “unstoppable” and that they will demand fair and equal pay. Nirvana’s song “All Apologies,” is featured and played as a lullaby.

The Amazon Alexa ad was very popular. When Alexa loses her voice, hollywood singers and actors step in to take her place. A few stars in this commercial were Cardi B, Rebel Wilson, and Gordon Ramsay.

The new “Doritos Blaze” commercial featured Morgan Freeman and Peter Dinklage having a rap battle.

AIC freshman Brianna O’Brien said she loves watching the Super Bowl ads.

“My favorite commercial was the Amazon Alexa because it was very creative and comical,” said O’Brien.

Eagles fans flocked to Philadelphia streets for the Eagles parade on Thursday, February 8. The 4.8-mile parade started at 11 a.m., but fans were there before sunrise.

Players and coaches gave speeches, and celebrated over their win against the Patriots. Before they gave their speeches, confetti fell around the team as they stood on top of open-air buses.

Gregory Shamus

Head Coach Doug Peterson and the rest of the team held up the Super Bowl LII trophy proudly. Eagles fans from all over glorified in the win, and chanted loudly in the streets of Philly. “Fly Eagles, Fly” echoed across the streets loud and proud.