FACE’s all black affair

Justin Lipscomb, Staff Writer

Black was the color of the day.

AIC’s first-ever model club called FACE hosted their first event in early February at the Quadrangle during the lunch hour.

The event consisted of everybody participating wearing an all black outfit for the day and pinning a Black History Month ribbon to themselves — three ribbons put together with the colors red, black, and green (the three main colors of Africa).

The ribbon along the all black outfit was intended to show support and awareness for Black History Month.

FACE Vice President Keline Almeida said the group produced a Black History Month flyer in Student Engagement to promote the event, and looks forward to a successful semester.

“I’m a little nervous,” she said. “It is really hard around this time of the school year for people to be even remotely interested in a school event. Plus when the E-board came by for a meeting along with myself and the president, we came to realize that nothing was really being done for Black History Month.”

President of the group is the author of this article, Justin Lipscomb, who sees the work as promoting self-expression, motivation, and branding the image. Coming up with an idea for an event is hard especially when you have never been the president or in charge of anything so serious before, so it was definitely a lot of pressure.

Once the E-board — consisting of the event planner and treasurer, alongside the president and vice president — got together, after many meetings and going on a little break to figure out the organization’s next move, the idea of a black out came up. Everyone would wear all black and put a ribbon on to show they stand with African Americans, especially during this special month.

After putting everything together and leaving the rest in the vice president’s hands to ensure a smooth transition, the consensus was that the event was a total success. So many people came to the Quad in their all black outfits and ribbons attached their shirts, ready to show everyone that they are with the moment that could eventually start a bigger movement — as the great speaker Yohuru Williams said during his recent visit here at American International College last month.

Once everyone showed up, professional pictures were taken of everyone there (it is always fun to have a great photo shoot session).

AIC student Alexis Johnson said she looks forward to more events from the group.

“I feel like this event was definitely a step in the right direction, it was special to not only watch but be apart of something so encouraging and up lifting for us African Americans to do better and come together more as a group when facing trials and tribulations. In my opinion this this event got the ball rolling in the right direction,” Johnson said.

With all that being said, the all black affair was a success, the pictures came out amazing and the group is already planning more events. Make sure to contact certain individuals if interested, as anyone is more than welcome to join FACE.