AIC Women’s Soccer bouncing back

Federica Frew, Staff Writer

AIC’s Women’s Soccer program is looking to bounce back this season after an off year in 2017. Last year, the Yellow Jackets went 5-9-4, and this year the season is already off to a great start with the team at 3-2 overall.

The highlight of the season so far was definitely a 1-0 double overtime victory over Mercy College who were at the time ranked #3 in the country. Another overtime victory over fierce rivals Saint Rose was a highlight too.

To be sure, 2017 was a different outcome after the 2016 season saw the ‘Jackets advance to the NCAA tournament, where they finished the season 12-8-1 and also competed in the Northeast 10 playoff tournament.

The team is on the up, and there is no doubt about that. And 2017 was definitely a rebuilding year of sorts for the program, as the team saw several important players graduate as their college careers finished up.

In the spring of this year, the Jackets added assistant coach Stephanie Gordon to the coaching staff. Gordon has already proved to be an important addition to the squad, providing professionalism, experience, and another important resource for the young team. Gordon joins the returning staff of Head Coach Kevon Isa (5th year in charge), Rob Libera, Cassie Ashwell, and goalkeeper coach Mario Monsalve.

Isa has high hopes for the young and rebuilding squad.

“We had some young players last year,” Isa said. “They needed a year to develop, and I think that the team has really stepped up this preseason.”

In terms of the playing squad, 28 players are returning from last season’s squad. The freshman class boasts 16 players, and will be a key to the team’s success in 2018.

One returner is Redshirt Freshman, Alexus Costa. The young midfielder/forward hails from New Jersey and is excited for the year.

“I think we have the heart and skillset to bounce back and work our way back into the NCAA tournament,” Costa exclaimed.

The ‘Jackets have a strong home schedule, headlined by a 5:30pm game on Homecoming (October 13th) on Ronald J. Abdow field. The schedule can be found online at www.aicyellowjackets.com and your support will be another key pillar in a rebound year for the team.