Fun times at Homecoming

Antonaya McMillian, Staff Writer

It was a chilly night on Friday, Oct. 19, as the AIC family young and otherwise began to fill the gymnasium.

Crowds of people came, including alumni to the school, staff and many current students, to support the pep rally at 8 p.m., kicking off a weekend of fun and frolic.

The gymnasium rang with booming music, students danced and celebrated together to celebrate homecoming. The football players were dressed in their yellow and black jerseys, while the cheerleaders were preparing to perform, as the school’s dance team the Queen Bees showcased their talent.
During the pep rally the gymnasium was full of excitement, with T-shirts being thrown in the crowd as well as towels that read ‘It’s Lits AIC Homecoming 2018.’

Students said the energy of the night was easy to feel and enjoy.

Freshman Gisel Lopez said she was happy to be a part of such a fun night.

“I had such a great time and I got to perform for my school,” Lopez said

Another AIC student, Tatyana Sims, agreed, saying, “The pep rally was very organized, very turnt, had a lot of activities that got the crowd involved and the performances were great! OH MY GOD and the fraternities had me out my seat.”

Hearing from two students on the outside looking in easily showed the excitement that filled the room that night.

The next day at high noon, a chilly, wet morning woke everyone up for the Homecoming Football game.

Freshman Gabriella Santos was among them, promising, “It’s raining outside, but that won’t stop the game.”

Watching how the stands filled with alumni and parents and staff showed everyone was ready for a great game. The game started off hot with the Yellow Jackets scoring the first touchdown of the game.

Fans roared with enthusiasm for the home team scoring. The game was a close one, back to back game within the first 3 quarters.

AIC was up by one point, the score was 13-12.

Suddenly the team lost it within the last quarter and the final score ended up being 13-27 with UNH winning.

YJ fans were somewhat disappointed, with comments from one player, who said, “We don’t know what happened out there, we lost it.”

But still, fun won out.

After the game, fans emptied the stand and went to the tailgate happening right across the street from the athletic center.
The tailgate was packed around the whole field were countless number of staff, as well as alumni and of course plenty of students. Fraternities as well as the sororities were there showing their pride.

The air was filled happy sounds, with plenty of drinks, grills and food. Everyone was enjoying their time and each other’s company.

Music poured out of tents as well from all the cars surrounding the area. Students buzzed about the dance that night. Senior Serge Gilberts said, “This being my senior year, this has got to be the best homecoming I’ve had ever.”

On the cold, brisk night to end homecoming, people flocked to the homecoming dance.

At 10 p.m. people slowly started to arrive and greet each other. Students were dressed to impress and ready to end homecoming with a bang.

The room was filled with people by 11:30 p.m. and the music was bumping all through the tent. You could tell how much fun students were having by them singing along with almost every song, or seeing some students bust a quick move.

The air warmed up a bit when everyone started dancing and sweating.

A guest at homecoming, Antonisha McMillian, said “Wow AIC is doing something different this year! Okay! I love it !”

She then proceeded to dance as well, enveloped in the fun of it.

Overall the weekend felt like a success and students can’t wait to celebrate once again next year.