Tailgating the day away

Tailgating the day away

Tsulufelo Scrivens, Staff Writer

AIC school spirt was alive and well on campus during Homecoming Weekend.

On Saturday Oct. 13, the college hosted a tailgate event for students and alumni as part of the Homecoming festivities.  The crowds braved the chilly autumn air to attend this popular event which started prior to the football game and continued well into the evening.

The highlight of the weekend was the anticipated football game between the AIC Yellow Jackets versus The University of New Haven Chargers. Although the Chargers triumphed over the Yellow Jackets (the winning score was 33-13), it did not dampen the school spirit.

Current students and alumni started arriving around 11 a.m. to find the best space to set up their tailgating party.  The crowds started setting up their chairs, tables, coolers, and grills to prepare for this annual event. Students and alumni came together to eat food, drink, and socialize in spite of the chilly temperatures. For those who decided not to tailgate, the college provided a well-stocked concession stand for everyone who attended.

Some say the crowd was not as large as expected because of the cold, unsettled weather.

The day started out as overcast, but turned sunny in the afternoon. The weather did not stop the Yellow Jackets fans from showing up for this annual event.

Jesse Emerson, a new student at AIC, said, “I am a freshman so this is my first tailgate party. I love being around my friends and other students and meeting alums who went to this school.”

School spirit was evident whether walking along the rows of parked cars or over at the Abdow Field. Students and alumni were laughing and joking and seem to be enjoying being on campus for this special event.

The odor of  delicious hamburgers and hotdogs wafted through the air as the tailgaters were grilling up their favorite foods.

Tailgater and Rugby Team member Tommy Clark, a sophomore at AIC, agreed the day was fine. He was enjoying a freshly gilled hamburger with all the fixings.

“This is my second year going to the Homecoming Tailgate Party. My first time going was okay but this year’s was really more fun I got to see some of my old friends that I met last year and I had a chance to meet some alumni,” Clark said.

Tailgaters were treated to an impromptu dance performance by the men’s fraternity named Omega Alpha Psi. This energetic dance group entertained the crowd that quickly gathered around them.

Many of the people were playing Corn Hole, tossing a football, playing Frisbee, plus other activities, like watching the football game.

Other tailgate groups were playing games such as fake beer pong.  This game used water instead of beer but the competitive spirit was still strong.

Students seemed to be the biggest group playing the games.

Shane O’Brien from the rugby team was enjoying a small pickup football game with some of his rugby team members.

“We are having a great time socializing as a team and as a family,” O’Brien said. “The food is great, the music is great, and I am looking forward to coming back here next year.”

Everyone seemed to have the same opinion. There was an overall feeling of unity among the students and alumni.

A number of people agree that their favorite part of tailgating was socializing with others, seeing old friends, and making new ones. It seems that many who attended this event are already looking forward to next year’s Homecoming Tailgating Party.

Hopefully next year’s event will be as exciting as this year’s event.