Patriots, back to the Super Bowl?

Patriots, back to the Super Bowl?

Tianah Miller, Staff Writer

Tom Brady, often times referred to as the GOAT (Greatest of All Time) is the Quarterback for the New England Patriots.

In his own words, “The Patriots need to be better at everything.”

Going to school in the New England area it would only make sense that a lot of the students would be New England Patriot fans. Through small talk and fan gear it is clear that there is a plethora of Pats fans here at AIC.

The Patriots started week 1 with a win over the Houston Texans. According to ESPN, Tom Brady threw for 277 yards and three touchdowns. After the first quarter the score was 7 to 3, then the Patriots erupted in the second quarter scoring two touchdowns and held on to win with a final score of 27-20.

Week 2 rolled around and the Patriots had a match up against the Jacksonville Jaguars. This game was a rematch from the AFC championship game last season that the Patriots had won.

There was a lot of hype around who would come out victorious in this rematch and some competitive talk by Jalen Ramsey, cornerback for the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was only week 2 but it was still a very important game for the Patriots and the Jaguars.

The Jaguars ended up giving the Patriots their first loss of the season. Viewers could see the Patriots falling apart. According to ESPN, Tom Brady threw for 234 yards and two touchdowns. Unfortunately, the defense could not stop the Jaguar’s wide receiver, Keelan Cole who had 116 receiving yards with one touchdown and Blake Bortles throwing for 376 yards and 4 touchdowns.

After having a major breakdown on offense and terrible defense against the Jaguars, the Patriots were headed into week 3. They were going against the Detroit Lions whose head coach, Matt Patricia, was the former Defensive Coordinator for the Patriots. Many thought this would clearly be a win in any New England Patriot fan’s mind because the Lions were 0-2.

Tom Brady only threw for 116 yards and one touchdown. Anything that could go wrong for New England did. That day the mentor became the student, referring to Bill Belichick, Head Coach of the Patriots, versus Matt Patricia. The final score for that game was 26-10.

To put this into perspective of how terrible the Patriots were doing, the Cleveland Browns had a better record than them. The Cleveland Browns won their first game this season after not winning since 2016.

AIC student Dominique Boyd said she is generally happier when the Pats win.

“I was angry…I get that they can’t win everything but the teams they lost to were teams that we should’ve beaten…we may have lost those games but I always have faith in my boys,” Boyd said.

The next few games were much better for the New England Patriots, winning 3 games in a row. The Pats ended up beating the undefeated Miami Dolphins, in week 4, 38-7 and in week 5 the Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts 38-24.

Another big game came up for the Patriots, they had to play the undefeated and number 1 power ranked team, Kansas City Chiefs. This game was a nail-biter. After both teams going back and forth, scoring, it ended with a game winning field goal for the Patriots.

According to ESPN, Tom Brady threw for 340 yards and the rookie running back for New England, Sony Michel, ran for 106 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Patriots are back on track, it seems, and even non Patriots fans still believe in them.

AIC graduate student, Jeff Camara predicted, “They’ll finish 11-4 and win the division” but he continued with his statement, predicting the downfall of the Pats, and said “they will lose in the AFC championship to the chiefs.”

After two early losses, AIC students believe the Patriots will make it far this season. The New England Patriots currently have a 4-2 record.