SGA holding town meeting on Nov. 27

Toni Lowden, Staff Writer

The AIC Student Government Association and its committees have been working hard to make sure students can attend different events — some fun and others informative.

In early November, SGA held Senior Night in the Stinger Pub, for those 21 and up.

Senior Night consisted of corn hole, flip cup, water pong, cards, Jenga, and other games with a nacho bar for food. The first 50 seniors to attend got drink tickets. A raffle was also available for students to be given the chance to win free senior week tickets held in May. While promoting a raffle for free tickets, SGA added a suggestion box for activities to do during Senior Week next semester.

Following the theme of suggestions, SGA is also holding a Town Hall in the CCA above The Hive during C hour on November 27th. The purpose of the Town Hall is to answer frequently asked questions and clear any confusion about what’s going on, on campus. The Town Hall is run by SGA Campus Improvement Committee headed by Mariah Mock.

Students will be able to pre-submit questions online on the Student Engage page before the event, which can be also be found in the link of the SGA Instagram page.

SGA plans to gather info before-hand to be more engaged, prepared and productive to give the students answers to what they are most interested in. Getting direct resources can help make students feel their voices are heard.

The website offers categories that are based on areas within the campus where students can direct their questions. Questions will be chosen by student government by popularity of a topic with an open discussion at the end. Questions that are chosen will be acknowledged by SGA through an email that will ask the student to speak during the event.

Student body president Taylor Campos shared why she thinks it’s a good idea to get the students engaged and their questions answered.

“I thought it was a great idea because it allows students to get their questions answered about specific things at AIC,” she said. “It gives us as SGA members the chance to answer frequently asked questions and inform students of the changes that are currently occurring on campus and our future plans. We want to start a tradition of town halls in hopes to close the communication gap between administration and students.”

The Town Hall will use the students voices to continue to make changes around campus and use suggestions to continue to make AIC an enjoyable campus for all students.

Along with town hall, SGA is beginning to plan the semi-formal which will be held in the spring and senior week towards the end of the year before graduation, SGA is currently taking suggestions for activities for senior week and exploring venue options for formal. All SGA updates are posted on the student governments Instagram, aic_sga.