AIC Yellow Jacket

Heroic service

Stefano Durante, Staff Writer

How to define a hero?

Is it selflessness, courage, strength that make one heroic?

There are many independent variables that can define a hero. Green camouflage is the color that can be associated with heroism.

The United States armed forces are a group of men and woman who fight every day to keep this country safe. The one thing this great nation can always agree on is the respect we have for the military. With Veterans Day being on November 11th, the country stopped to reflect and thank our heroes. Attention turned to those men and woman who served in wars, and who are still fighting overseas to see this country be free.

AIC students had many thoughts during that day to tell me what being a hero meant to them. The standard definition of a hero is a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. This definition is just one of many that can be defined as a hero.

Brennan Kapcheck, an AIC student and former student at Culver Military Academy, said heroism is easily defined.

“A hero is a person who has the strength to do something that they fear,” Kapcheck said. “A hero is a person who puts the well-being of others before themselves. A hero is a person who has the courage to do what they believe is right even when others may not agree. A hero is someone who does things the correct way. A hero is not only a person but a way to live. Everyone can be a hero in their own way.”

Servicemen and servicewomen show this heroism each in every day from World War II in the trenches or in Afghanistan.

AIC student Georgia Barnes, a junior from Australia, commented as well.

“A hero is someone I look up to and respect, who possesses courage and brave traits,” Barnes said.

Within the Army, you find many men and woman who show the courage and the bravery to go into scary situations and get the job done. Many received the Medal of Honor for doing great acts of valor.

“Someone who puts others before themselves without thinking about it no matter what they have to sacrifice, that is a hero,” said Evan Plotnik, a freshman student from California.

With the numerous statements and interviews with students at AIC about being a hero, the general consensus was all the same.

A hero is someone who sacrifices themselves for the greater good, out of bravery and the love for country and it’s freedom.

A hero makes a selfless act, going above and beyond the rest.

We at AIC say thank you to all active and retired servicemen who fought to keep this country safe.

Remember to take time to say thank you, and shake the hand of a veteran who fought to keep us safe.