Chuck Robinson: An Artist On the Field, For the Field, and Off the Field

Kobe Miranda

Five days and five nights a week, Charles “Chuck” Robinson lives the double life of a student and a football player. Robinson does it all. Life for many student athletes is a toss-up during the pandemic, but Robinson is all around during these days, keeping himself occupied. Robinson has customized over twenty pairs of cleats belonging to players who are currently active on the AIC football roster. He has even drawn a few paintings for his high school, which are now hanging throughout the hallways around his school.

Robinson, 21, is a Kingston, New York native. He participated in the Hudson Valley Art Show, which was held from December 15th through the 22nd. During the competition, Robinson showed three murals of his sisters and a pair of custom cleats. He signed up for this show as an amateur artist and had plans to win the competition.

Robinson expressed a passion about his art. “If I can’t play football in life,” Robinson said, “my only dream after that would be to get paid for my art.”

Robinson seems very invested in his trade and does not seem to have any plans of switching his point of view on it. “My plan A is my plan B. There’s no other option in this life except success,” Robinson said.

Charles Robinson IV is a first-generation college student, and he does not plan on using college as a means to find a job; instead, he plans to use his time in college to build a pool of connections that he will frequently and often swim in.

Robinson will be obtaining the best grades he can during his tenure at school and be involved on campus, trying to broaden his horizon and create new connections by the day.

During this time, Robinson finds it hard to communicate with people and have the same kind of interactions due to Covid-19, which has significantly impacted campus life. “During these times of Corona-,” Robinson said, “I’ve been doing a lot of solo paintings, preparing for the art show. I have done a few cleats and a portrait that sits in our bathroom at Edgewood. I am trying to keep myself in the most artistic state during these weird times.”

The campus has been extraordinary due to Covid-19. There are many restrictions, rules, and guidelines each student must follow, making campus life a bit dry and unenjoyable for many students. Students are not allowed in the gym without a coach, the Dining Commons has lines which must be followed to receive food, and students also are limited to two drinks.

During these rough times for interaction and communication, Robinson will have to branch out on campus and to local Springfield artists and models to keep his competitive touch for his upcoming show. “I have been in touch with a few other local artists, trying to collaborate on a few pieces, and even a few models that I would like to freehand sketch portraits of,” Robinson said.

With Covid-19 being such a problem, students who rely on communication tend to suffer due to limited resources. Students like Robinson are making the most out of this limited campus experience by not limiting themselves to campus. While staying on campus might be ideal for health situations, students like Robinson are not worried about the complications now. But they are worried about their future.

“I cannot limit myself to being on campus,” Robinson said. “That would be putting a blanket on my abilities as an artist.” An attitude like that can take one a long way. Students like Robinson will stop at nothing to achieve something higher.