The fight for Crimea’s independence

The fight for Crimeas independence

Daniel Naja, Staff Writer

The Crimean peninsula is the focus of worldwide attention right now, given that Russia has taken over this strategic spot from Ukraine, where a peoples’-style revolt is changing the government leadership.

At AIC, opinions reflect feelings shared by many who are paying attention to this shift of power.

Hunter Beckman is one who believes Crimea should be an independent country.

“After years of being controlled by outside countries, they deserve their own independent state,” said Beckman, a junior.

AIC senior Samantha Tabak believes violence is a poor way to solve problems anywhere, including Crimea and Ukraine, where Russia is flexing powerful military muscles.

“I think that there is a better way to settle their conflict than war.  Innocent people are suffering from the political battles that they may or may not even agree with,” said Tabak, a well-known student on campus who has shown flair on the soccer field as well as on AIC’s sports website, YellowJackets.com, where she blogs regularly.

Crimea has an interesting history.

It is a peninsula that is located in the middle of the Black Sea between the Ukraine and Russian boarders. Crimea has always been strategic area due to its location and many wars have been fought between men to place their countries flag on Crimea soil.  In only a century, the Russian empire and the Soviet Union have both occupied Crimea. Then, following World War Two, the peninsula of Crimea was given to Ukraine from the allies after the Axis defeat.

Then revolutionary war took place later in their history.

A report published in 2004 by the U.S State Department, stated “Ukraine’s strategic location between the main energy producers and consumers in the Eurasian region, its large transit network, and its available underground gas storage capacities made the country a potentially crucial player in European energy transit.”

Ukraine depends on Russia for half of their natural gas. Last November the United States, offered Ukraine a $10 billion gas deal that would end Ukraine’s depending on Russia for natural gas.  This was the main reason for the deal on the United States. But, Russia had other plans.

Russia, offered the Ukraine a 30% percent reduction of the price of natural gas and a $15 billion aid package and they agreed. When news of this deal hit the White House, a “U.S sponsored opposition” launched its struggle to overthrow the Ukrainian government. Riots broke out in the capital of Kiev and fighting was happening in the streets. The Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych, was overthrown and fled the country in two days.

Russian president, Vladimir Putin, has taken in Yanukovych for safety and believes that Crimea should be annex by Russia. Putin calls the coup “its unconstitutional overthrow and armed seizure of power.”  He continues to state, “are the current authorities legitimate? There is only one legitimate president- from a legal point of view, its Mr. Yanukovych is president.”

Viktor Yanukovych has asked Putin to protect the lives of Ukrainians. So to keep his promise, 16,000 troops have invaded Crimea and surrounded army bases and navy ports.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov blames the crisis in the Ukraine on the West, without specifically putting the blame on the United States.  Lavroc stated, “Western nations were trying to preserve their global leadership and display their exceptionalism rather than striving to be guided by international law.”

The lower house of parliament in Russia overwhelmingly approved a treaty to annex Crimea on Thursday, March 20th 2014 and The Federation Council Upper House will complete ratification on Friday, March 21. Finally, President Vladimir Putin and Crimean leaders plan to sign the treaty on Tuesday, 25th.

The United States and other European countries have imposed sanctions on Russia for the annexation. They have also suspended military and trade ties with threats of stricter consequences.

Despite threats, the Russian government has continued the process of annexation of Crimea. When the country is absorbed into Russia, Russia will be responsible for the debt that Crimea is it. The debt is estimated at around $1.53 billion.

In the upcoming weeks, we shall see how this conflict turns out and hopefully no-bloodshed may happen to cease the fighting.