Review: Palate serving up tasty fusion dishes

Pulled pork nachos at Palate.

Yezenia Rodriguez

Pulled pork nachos at Palate.

Yezenia Rodriguez, Staff Writer

I’m a simple girl: I love food and I love saving money.

So, this last review differs from my others in that I purposely chose a more expensive restaurant this month. At some of the fairly pricey places (Saray II and Big Mamous) I looked for cheaper items on the menu or went in time for lunch specials, in order to showcase the more affordable but still yummy dishes.

This month, price was no object, and boy did my wallet regret that.

My journey this month led to me Palate, a Latin inspired restaurant in Springfield with an interesting menu and concept. Most of the dishes are fusion plates, like the Yucca Chicken Gnocchi, the love child dish that is a product of traditional Puerto Rican and Italian influences. There is also the blending of different Latin cuisines, with dishes like the Paella, a dish from Spain, served in a Mofongo bowl, a dish from Puerto Rico. Even a traditional American steak comes with a side of cassava here.

The concept of the restaurant beyond the menu would appeal to dance lovers and partiers looking for a more intimate scene than a giant crazy club: after the restaurant is officially “closed” half of the building transforms into a Latin dance area, and drink specials come out. With no cover charge, it’s one stop shopping for a delicious hearty meal and night out.

But I don’t dance. So: food.

The prices are steep at Palate, with appetizers ranging from 3 to 14 dollars and entrees starting at 15 and ending at 22. The drinks are way overpriced, though admittedly, my companion and I agreed they tasted great.

At only 5 dollars, I highly recommend the pulled pork nacho appetizer. With tender flavorful meat, and a hearty heaping portion of it too, the tongue and tummy are both dazzled here. After splitting the nachos between two of us, I found I was much fuller than I thought I would be before my entrée showed up.

Mofongo Con Camarones  at Palate.
Yezenia Rodriguez
Mofongo Con Camarones at Palate.

In fact, I had to take half of my Mofongo Con Camarones home because I was stuffed.

Though he thought it needed more salt, and his chicken was a little dry, my companion found his dish of Yucca Chicken Gnocchi in a creamy vodka sauce satisfying and ate it all. It was his first foray into gnocchi, and he was not disappointed.

The restaurant is modern looking, with high chairs and booths, and dimmed lighting that gave off a romantic, intimate glow. The prices seem appropriate when looking at the beautiful décor.

Palate is not without its non-price related faults: the pulled pork was a bit cool, like it had been forgotten and left sitting a little bit too long before being brought to us. The flan we had for desert was unexceptional, and very small. The waitress was polite but not very friendly. Also, the dish I had originally ordered, Salmorejo con yanicle was unavailable for some reason, which was disappointing. Our drinks took a long time to arrive, though the restaurant was mostly empty and one was a pour and serve.

With what I was able to get however, I was satisfied and overall pleased.

Yucca Chicken Gnocchi at Palate.
Yezenia Rodriguez
Yucca Chicken Gnocchi at Palate.

Opened just this year in the winter time, this is one of the newest places in the area, and if you are willing to spend a pretty penny, worth giving a try.

The menu is unique and uncluttered. With just 10 entrées to choose from, there is enough to try something new but not so many options you’ll find your head spinning with names of foods you don’t know.

There is no website, but the facebook page is updated regularly with drink and food specials, and pictures of the dance nights. The Yelp rating average is a 4 stars.

Honestly, I don’t think I will ever become a regular here and that’s because of the meal prices. But maybe $17 for Arroz Con Gandules y Pernil seems insane to me because I can go to my grandma’s house and get the same food for free, or visit a local Puerto Rican restaurant and get the same thing for half the price.

My final verdict: I was not blown away by Palate, but if someone else was paying, I would definitely return. Visit 1168 Boston Rd, Springfield, MA and decide if it’s worth the hefty price tag for yourself.

….

I am graduating this semester, so this is goodbye. I’d like to thank everyone who gave me feedback on my reviews and hope that some of you checked out one or two of the places I reviewed. I won’t be returning after the summer, but wanted to leave you with some of the fun places I am looking forward to eating at locally: the new Bueno Y Sano food truck coming to the Holyoke Canal, and the return of Sun Kim Bop, the Korean food truck that comes to Downtown Springfield for lunch on weekdays. Farewell and bon appetite!