Fifteen years on, AIC remembers 9/11

Daniel Frawley, Staff writer

Students of American International College gathered in the campus quad on Sept. 11, 2016, to honor the lives lost in the 9/11 terrorist attack of 2001.

Student volunteers placed 2,977 around AIC’s fallen military memorial to honor those who died in the horrific attack 15 years ago on that same day. Several students attended as AIC upperclassmen led the ceremony. Most of the students that participated were quite young at the time of the biggest attack of the United States since the bombing of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

Two planes crashed into the twin buildings of The World Trade Center the morning of September 11, 2001. As a third plane crashed into the United States Department of National Defense (The Pentagon) resulting in a total of 2,977 deaths between the three crashes.

Students who participated were clearly moved by the work, which resulted in a red, white and blue display on the southwestern side of the campus.

AIC's Sept. 11 flag event garnered attention from the local TV station, Channel 22 News.
AIC’s Sept. 11 flag event garnered attention from the local TV station, Channel 22 News.

Senior Alexander Clark said the work was important, and rewarding for the many who volunteered.

“What we’re doing here today, putting down 2,977 flags, I think things like this are important, not only for this generation, but the generation to follow afterwards. Not to remember just what happened, but remember who we are.”

Despite the horror that happened on that morning, it unified and strengthened our country. As all in attendance of the ceremony would agree, it is important to recognize those who lost their lives on that horrifying morning.

Freshman Ian Frament, who was only three years old at the time of the attack, attended the ceremony on Sunday.

“I think it’s important to continue to show respect to the innocent people killed in the attack so that generations after us have an understanding of the horror and unification of the country,” Frament said.

Channel 22 News came to cover the event.

The upperclassmen who made this event possible want the tradition to continue for years to come, as we recognize the lives effected and lost in the 9/11 attacks.