First-time voters hit the polls on Election Day

Bobby Bishop, Staff Writer

Many college students, if not most, are first time voters who are between the ages of 18-21. Many are just starting to form their own political views.

The first time that someone votes is filled with uncertainty, excitement as well as nervousness. The experience as a first-time voter is a time which we all go through.

The lines on Election Day are what most people worry about, understandably. At busy times of the day such as 7-8 a.m. and 5 p.m., the voting lines can be out the door.

Lucky for me, walking into the school which held the election wasn’t as busy as I originally thought. While the time of day I went to vote was around 11 a.m., the place was not very busy. There were more elderly people than anyone else.

Going up to the registration booth was one of the more confusing times. I was greeted by a few police officers who were roaming the school. Finding the voting station was a mystery of itself. The chart on the wall was far too crowded to ever find your street, so I had to go up to a lady and ask her for assistance.

Once that was all situated, it was time to go up to the little booth and mark my choices. I thought those booths would be much bigger or maybe filled with information. However that wasn’t the case and it was just three white walls.

Like most first-time voters, I wasn’t aware of all the questions I had to actually answer. Between town questions and state questions, I was baffled by how little I knew about local politics.

Once finished voting, I brought my ballet up to the scantron and went to place it inside. The only problem I made was I didn’t fill in my answers on the sheet. I checked the boxes off instead of filling them in. Maybe it would’ve been smart to read the directions for a first time voter.

I wasn’t the only first time voter there, as Michael Hynek, of South Hadley, Mass also was at the polls for the first time.

“It’s one of the basic rights we have as Americans, and I don’t believe that I’ve ever felt more American than when they gave me that sticker,” Hynek said.

The worst part about my first time voting experience, by far, was that I didn’t get a sticker.