Football, tailgating cap off an exciting Homecoming week

Leon Nguyen

The AIC football team takes the field for the Homecoming game against Assumption on Saturday, October 24.

Robby Ollari, Editor-in-Chief

The AIC cheerleaders at the Homecoming game on Saturday, October 24.
Leon Nguyen

SPRINGFIELD – Last week, American International College held its annual Homecoming celebration – a week of events that is always a hit on campus.

AIC’s Student Activities Board sponsored a series of events (during the week of October 19-23) that kept the school buzzing in the week leading up to the Homecoming weekend. Some of the events hosted by the SAB included a movie night, a game night, appearances by Conceited and Emmanuel Hudson of MTV’s Wild n’ Out, and the pep rally on the eve of the Homecoming game. The SAB also organized the Saturday night Homecoming party.

A week’s worth of events culminated over the weekend, about a half-mile east of the AIC campus over at the school’s athletic complex.

The weekend’s slate of events began in the evening on Friday, October 23, when the athletic department held the 2015 Athletic Hall of Fame Reception and Induction. This year’s class of inductees included: Robert Burke (’74 MEd, Administrator), Dan Della-Giustina (’52, ’55 MA, ’04 HON, Men’s Basketball), Major Jennings (’80, Men’s Basketball), Stephanie Laskey (’09, Field Hockey), Ted Pinkerman (’84, Men’s Soccer), Vezio Sacratini (’90, Ice Hockey), Jack Slomback (’65, Baseball, Football, Ice Hockey, Men’s Soccer), and Michael Smith (’78, Ice Hockey). The 2006 Women’s Basketball team was also inducted.

A group of happy tailgaters.
Leon Nguyen
A group of happy tailgaters.

All throughout the day on Saturday, October 24, students and alumni gathered across the street from the athletic complex for a giant tailgate party, where groups got their pregame on before heading over to Ronald J. Abdow Field for the football Yellow Jackets’ Homecoming afternoon tilt with the Assumption Greyhounds.

Homecoming had alumni of all sorts back in Springfield to reunite with friends and classmates of years past.

Tajuana Lightbourn-Dean (’85) loves the fact that she can return to see friends and see what’s new here at AIC.

“I’m not a huge football fan, but I do love homecoming because I can see all my friends from 30 years ago,” Lightbourn-Dean said. “It’s also great to see all of the positive changes at the campus and how it’s evolved over the last 30 years since I graduated.”

Lightbourn-Dean’s friend Kelly Astwood (’84) echoed the sentiment that many AIC alumnus look forward to coming back for the annual Homecoming.

“Homecoming weekend is always such a fun time. Having been educated here, I truly do love coming back,” Astwood explained. “The friendships we developed here are valued, too.”

A large and lively crowd of students, faculty, and alumni both young and old eventually filed into the bleachers for the 1:00 kickoff at the football field – where the parties continued, as there were tents set up beyond the end zone, in place for alumni mingling and a cookout sponsored by the Varsity Club.

The crowd settling in at the Homecoming football game.
Leon Nguyen

While AIC Athletic Director Matt Johnson is not a Yellow Jacket alum, he says he always looks forward to the annual Homecoming experience.

“My favorite part of the weekend is getting the chance to see former student-athletes, former players and dedicated alums come back to support the Yellow Jackets,” Johnson said.

The Homecoming football game was broadcast online via ESPN3 and on the WatchESPN app – allowing for nationwide streaming – but the game ultimately lacked the hype and excitement that the rest of Homecoming provided. Nevertheless, ESPN3’s presence at AIC was an exciting opportunity for the school and athletic department alike.

“Having the football game broadcast on ESPN3 is great exposure for the institution, the athletic department and the football program,” Johnson explained. “The excitement surrounding the game was at an all time high, creating a tremendous game day environment.”

AIC found themselves down 9-0 early in the first quarter – thanks to a 10 play, 73 yard touchdown drive and a safety, both coming just a little over four minutes into the game – but an AIC fumble recovery well into Assumption territory led to a Shawn Brathwaite 32 yard touchdown pass to Ryheime Moore, making it a two point deficit.

AIC vs. Assumption
Leon Nguyen
AIC vs. Assumption

But from that point, Assumption went on to score 23 unanswered points, effectively silencing the Yellow Jackets and their Homecoming crowd.

Another safety in the first made it 11-7, but the rest of the first half was quiet, as that score remained unchanged until the Greyhounds came out strong in the second half. AIC cornerback Mike Ford’s interception of Assumption’s Brendan Tobey was the one of very few highlights of the quiet second quarter.

On their first drive of the second half, Assumption needed just 2:58 and 11 plays to march 85 yards down to the end zone, highlighted by a 46 yard rush by Assumption running back James Ward. Another touchdown four minutes later made it 25-7, and an AIC fumble deep in their own territory led to a quick touchdown drive that sealed the deal at 32-7 in the fourth.

The loss on Homecoming Saturday dropped the football team’s record to 3-5, but the Athletic Director is looking ahead to the future, mentioning that “we brought in 60+ new players this year and the coaching staff feels this may be one of the best recruiting years the program has ever had.” The team rounds out the season with the two final games; their final home game comes on Halloween vs. Merrimack, and one final road trip to Pace University on November 7.

AIC vs. Assumption
Leon Nguyen
AIC vs. Assumption

In the meantime, it was another Homecoming week to remember here at AIC, and students and alumni are undoubtedly counting down the days until the next afternoon full of tailgating and football. See you next October!