AIC honors veterans past and present

SGA President Alex Clark lead the Pledge of Allegiance.

Leon Nguuyen

Mary Ellen Lowney, Publisher

In a moving Veterans Day ceremony that drew an overflow crowd, American International College paid tribute to the women and men who served – and in some cases tragically lost their lives – for their country.

The hour-long ceremony in the West Wing featured an honor guard salute, a student essay on the special value of veterans, a prayer of thanks from campus Chaplain John McDonagh and reflections by veteran alumni including U.S. Rep. Richard E. Neal, D-Springfield.

Unlike many other schools, AIC holds classes on Veteran’s Day, and always pays honor to veterans with a ceremony. The college was well known after World War II as a place where veterans furthered their education and improved their lives thanks to the GI Bill, and it is still a place where veterans are welcome.

Congressman Richard E. Neal speaks to an AIC audience on Veterans Day.
Leon Nguyen

At the ceremony, Neal spoke of his own experience at AIC, noting that “it’s always a personal as well as a professional delight to be here on Veterans Day at the AIC campus.”
Neal is a 1972 AIC alumni with a major in political science.

“This is a chance for me to say thanks for a first-rate education that allowed me to debate and discuss and even dissent sometimes as a member of Congress,” Neal said. “The GI Bill made a huge impact on men and women who came back from serving their country and took advantage of that genius legislation.”

Neal also underscored his commitment to supporting all veterans on their return from active service, and to especially honoring those who did not come back from combat.

“We remember those who were as young as 19 and 20 years old who never came back, not only for what they did, but for what their families went through. They guaranteed us the right to an open dialogue in our democratic system,” he said.

Campus Chaplain Fr. John McDonagh offers a prayer for all veterans.
Leon Nguyen
Host Kenneth Geromini, AIC alumni and chair of the AIC Veterans Committee, at the Veterans Day event on campus.

Army Veteran and AIC Veterans Committee Chair Ken Geromini, class of 1968 and 1972, gave the greeting and introduction, noting that veterans come in many varieties, some receiving more attention than others.

“Typically we think of veterans as pilots in the sky and soldiers on the ground,” he noted.

“But that’s not the full story. There are cooks, mailmen, technicians, mechanics and so many others who have also served their country. We remember them too.”

Geromini received a bachelor degree in biology and a master’s in accounting.

Campus Chaplain John McDonagh called on audience members to “give thanks to those who served, and who sometimes gave their lives…and remember those veterans who were crippled in war, sometimes with unseen injuries of the mind, and veterans left in homeless shelters suffering from wounds they do not understand.”

Campus Chaplain Fr. John McDonagh offered a prayer for all veterans.
Leon Nguyen

The ceremony also featured a ‘Pledge of Allegiance’ lead by student body President Alex Clark, a presentation of a wreath by the AIC Veterans Committee and a reading of an essay by AIC freshman Alyssa Szymczyk, who won the annual freshman essay contest showcased at this event.

Leon Nguuyen

AlexSzymczyk, who majors in Occupational Therapy, said she was inspired by a grandfather and uncle who served in wars, but decided to write a general essay on the value of all veterans.

“I wanted to say something that applied to all veterans and people who fought in wars, and what that means to me,” Szymczyk said.

Members of the audience gave the ceremony top ratings.

“I thought it was great,” said Gregory Schmutte, Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness.

“I always like the way the speakers really connect the veterans’ experiences here at AIC. It’s very personal and moving.”

AIC Senior Heather Brouillard also enjoyed the speakers, as well as the reception that followed.

“It was nice that AIC brought all different types of veterans,” she said. “I thought it was honorable and solemn. And I liked that so many students were involved.”