It’s FAFSA time, and there are changes

Its FAFSA time, and there are changes

Jennifer Pallazola, Staff Writer

Fill out your FAFSA!

This semester has been one full of changes – a new AIC course registration system, a new American president-elect, and now FAFSA wants students to apply three months earlier than the standard application start date on January 1.

The end of the year 2016 is becoming full of surprises.

What is FAFSA? FAFSA stands for the Free Application of Federal Student Aid.

For some students, your parents might have filled it out for you. It adds up numbers such as how many siblings you have, how much your total household income is, and how likely you are to be able to rely on your parents to pay for your education.

Based on these numbers, your financial aid is awarded to you. For most college students, college wouldn’t even be an option without FAFSA.

“Completing your FAFSA allows students various financial opportunities that they would not receive otherwise,” stated Rhianna Eaton, a financial aid work study student. “It includes scholarships, grants, loans and alternative loans.”

Another student, Jesse Lepisto added, “applying for the FAFSA allows me to be financially able to attend such an expensive college.”

Currently, tuition alone is well over $30,000, and this does not include a dining plan or dorming. If you don’t have that money in the bank, you won’t be able to afford college without FAFSA.

It is heavily encouraged that all students fill out their FAFSA as soon as possible. This is because some funding may be limited; meaning if you were expecting a specific grant or scholarship, you might not receive it. FAFSA is a ‘first come, first serve’ operation, so if you wait until last minute, it could end up costing you. File your FAFSA as soon as possible!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION Apply for FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov AIC’s school code: 002114 Questions? Contact AIC’s financial aid office Email: [email protected] Phone: 413-205-3259, or just visit the office on the second floor of Lee Hall.