The student news site of American International College

AIC Yellow Jacket

What Grinds My Gears: Selfie Etiquette

Jazmine Baehr, Op/Ed Columnist

Once again, I found something on Facebook that pissed me off … I know you’re all shocked.

Actually though, I have seen this behavior occur in person, but seeing it on Facebook just brought it all back up for me. So here goes folks – this week on What Grinds My Gears, we’re gonna talk about what I like to call “selfie etiquette.”

As some of you may be aware of, I spent part of this past summer frolicking around Germany, as I studied abroad at the Berlin School of Economics and Law. Of course during my time there, I drove right into all of the culture and history that Germany has – that includes the good, bad and the ugly.

I’m sure you all know where I am going with this one, seeing how in my last column I called myself the resident Jew of our campus. Yes, while in Germany I forced myself to do one of the hardest things in my opinion that a Jewish person will ever have to do…visit a concentration camp. I won’t dive into all of my feelings here frankly because I don’t want to, and I’m sure you guys don’t want to read it, but I will say it was a tough experience for me.

This is where I get to the part about what grinds my gears.

As I found myself standing in the middle of Sachsenhausen concentration camp feeling completely overwhelmed with emotion, there was something that caught my attention … Laughter.

When I turned to find the source, I found people everywhere running around laughing, and what I found the most irritating: taking selfies.

I didn’t even bring my phone with me that day because I literally can’t think of a single reason why I would ever want photograph evidence that proved what once stood in that place where so many people suffered.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love taking selfies – Snapchat is my most frequently used app on my phone – but come on … really, selfies at a concentration camp?!?!

What would make someone want to commemorate being in such a jarringly emotional place with a bunch of smiling selfies? I had a hard time controlling my urge to either throw up or cry, and all of these people were just having the time of their lives. Of course I understand that being a Jew anything related to the Holocaust is a much harder pill for me to swallow, but it can’t just be a walk in the park for other people.

I’m going to put this very clearly – IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO USE ONE OF THE GREATEST TRAVESTIES IN HISTORY FOR YOU TO GET LIKES ON SOCIAL MEDIA!!

I’ll say it again for the people in the back – under no circumstance is it acceptable to use the Holocaust or any other travesty that has happened to try to get likes on social media … I’m sorry but like what the heck are you doing?

It’s not just places related to the Holocaust, it’s anywhere that terrible things have occurred; this also goes for funerals and places where mass casualties have occurred.

If you ever find yourself with the urge to take a selfie in any such occasion I want you to take a serious look at yourself and evaluate your life choices, because that behavior is absolutely ridiculous and you should never ever do it.

And that’s what grinds my gears….