Review: “Jumaji” is back

Erin Stalker, Staff Writer

Winter break was a great chance for AIC students to catch up on movies, and Jumanji seemed a good bet.

Jumanji is a remake to the original that came out in 1995. In Jumanji, a board game comes to life when four high school students in detention decide to plug the game in and play it.

Each student chooses a character or avatar they want to be and when sucked into the game, they become those characters.

The four main actors of the new movie are Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, and Karen Gillan. Nick Jonas also makes an appearance in the movie as a character who was sucked into the game 20 years ago when the group needed help getting away from the “bad guys”.

The purpose of the game is for these four characters to catch the villain of the movie, Bobby Cannavale, who stole a magic jewel from a jaguar statue that has control of the animals from the world of Jumanji. Each character has three lives and if those lives are used up, they will die in real life, along with having special skills as well as weaknesses that could hurt them.

The game begins with the characters in the middle of the jungle where they meet Nigel, a tour guide who comes equipped with the game.

He explains to them the background story of what happened with the villain and what they would have to do to win the game and come back to reality.

In order to win the game, the characters must get the jewel back and put it back into the structure and call out ‘Jumanji’.

Throughout the game, the characters lose lives and learn that they must work together in order to figure out the clues given throughout the movie. The game ends with the characters getting the jewel back and putting Jumanji back to normal. The characters make it home, especially Nick Jonas, whose character was trapped in the game for 20 years.

The movie was a good one, even for this viewer who did not get to see the original. This was funny, entertaining and action packed. It is definitely a movie to go see with your friends, family or siblings.

A few AIC students who saw this movie weighed in.

Erin Stalker: “Who was your favorite character of the movie?”

Peta-Gaye Ricketts: “My favorite character was The Rock because every movie he is in, he does a great job.”

Erin Stalker: “Sydney?”

Sydney Thompson: “My favorite character was Jack Black because his real life character was played as a girl and his actions as a teenage girl were pretty funny.”

Erin Stalker: “And Chelsea?”

Chelsea Davis: “My favorite character was Nick Jonas because I loved the Jonas Brothers growing up.”

Erin Stalker: “What was your favorite part of the movie?”

Peta-Gaye Ricketts: “My favorite part was when the characters make it home finally after going through all of the troubles to get the jewel back to save Jumanji.”

Erin Stalker: “Sydney, what was your favorite part?”

Sydney Thompson: “My favorite part of the movie was when the jewel was taken back and put into the statue to save Jumanji. The action part of the movie was really good and intense.”

Erin Stalker: “And finally, Chelsea, what is your favorite part?”

Chelsea Davis: “My favorite part was when Nick Jonas made it home after 20 years of being stuck in the game.”