AIC Yellow Jacket

Review: a solid new album from Billie Eilish

Jaylan Ramos, Staff Writer

With a mix of art pop, dark pop, electronic vibes, Billie Eilish has been climbing the pop charts and gathering a following with her hit song she created at 14-years old: “Ocean Eyes”.

The singer is a sixteen-year old L.A. native born out of a creatively and artistically inclined family. With the help of her producer brother Finneas, Billie has produced her album don’t smile at me that showcases her dynamic emotions and writing skills. The nine-track album is in a category of it’s own, which is quite fitting for Billie’s persona.

It starts with “COPYCAT” a synth ballad about those surrounding her that lead these fake lives with fake personas. It’s a daring “don’t mess with me” song that captures Eilish’s attitude to the fluff and glitter people put out into the world of themselves. They are complete clones of someone they wish they were.

The second song, “idontwannabeyouanymore” is a vulnerable piece about the singer’s insecurities. It delves into her own mind and has a dialogue with herself. It’s sweet and self-conscious and oh so relatable.

Track 3, “my boy” is another song showing off her strength of calling out people that aren’t who they appear to be. It’s straight to the point with lines like “He’s such a pretty liar” and “He don’t love me like he promised”. This song tells him off and airs out his dirty laundry. He’s immature and incapable of maintaining a healthy relationship. Billie somehow unbelievably made the complete opposite version of “Ocean Eyes” when she made this song. And its amazing.

Track 4, “watch” is a simple song about longing. Sad and sweet.

Track 5 “party favor” shows off her great ability of story-telling with her simulating a phone call to a past love on their birthday.

The sixth song, “bellyache” is another hit single that has picked up more traction since her first hit release. A funky, electronic song about a murderer with a vendetta. Now don’t get too nervous. Billie says her and her brother constantly write songs with imaginary situations. “It’s also really fun to put on a character and act a certain way.”

Song number seven is none other than “ocean eyes”. Arguably one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I’ve heard in a long time, it serves as the aching love song on the album. It perfectly encapsulates that pull someone you deeply care for has over you. It especially highlights the absolute fear of losing someone.

Track 8, “hostage” is another tender love song but with that same dark twisted character from bellyache. She’s wanting to keep her lover hostage so he could never leave. A song about being completely obsessed with your favorite person.

The final song on the album, “&burn” features rapper Vince Staples is just a revamped remix of track 4, “watch”.

The final verdict is that the album is an amazing start to a likely long career for Billie Eilish. Her sound stands out, and her vision and how she executes it amazes me every time. I’m excited to see how far she goes.