What it’s like to be a young adult with a disability in college

College Steps students and their mentors hanging out at AIC. (Photo courtesy of Chris Ryan)

Danielle Corey, Staff Writer

Hi there, this has been on my mind for a while now. I thought it should be heard so please take some of your time to read this article. Thank you.

As a young adult with a disability, life is not all rainbows and butterflies. Life can get really frustrating for us, as we’re dealing with our disability and school on top of it.

We have struggles fitting in – sometimes people can be really cruel to us. They hurt us so much that sometimes we just want to hide and cry.

We can’t always do the things that you can do. We might need some extra help and that’s okay.

People think they need to talk down to us. But, they don’t. We can understand you. We’re not five years old. We might have to ask you to help us understand a word, but that’s it. We can talk to you as adults, and you can talk to us as adults.

What really hurts the most is when people don’t treat us right. They think we’re something that doesn’t belong here. When really, we belong here just as much as anyone else. Yes we were born differently but we are not mistakes.

On the other hand, there are some positives to being a young adult in college.

There are some really nice people. People who do respect us. People who treat us like human beings.

Some students and or professors are really nice to us and help us if we need it.

We really just want to fit in and be your friend. There’s nothing wrong with that. We’re nice people. We’re just not always understood.

Thank you for taking your time and reading my article.