“We’re all born naked, the rest is drag!”

AIC+Theater+Director+Frank+Borrelli+with+Annie+Chen+and+Juju+Bee.+

Samira Abdul-Karim

AIC Theater Director Frank Borrelli with Annie Chen and Juju Bee.

Samira Abdul-Karim, Staff Writer

AIC’s first Drag Show was an unqualified success.

On April 14, the Student Activities Board and PLUS filled Griswold Theatre for the first, and hope to be semi-annual Drag Show.

After an unbelievable crowd showed the evening before for AIC’s Persons Ready in Defense of Ebony (P.R.I.D.E) 49th Annual Fashion Show, students wasted no time refilling those seats.

Jazmine Baehr, Senior, and Vice President of SAB said, “The planning started back in September and took every second up until we opened the doors for the show. It was a cultivation of hard work and determination of everyone involved.”

It definitely showed! Especially since JuJu Bee, from VH1’s RuPaul’s Drag Race, committed to being the Headline performer.

Director of Theater, Frank Borrelli, served up nothing but life as he hosted the phenomenal evening. The crowd had a hard time catching their breath in between the laughter.

The first queen to grace the stage was AIC Alumni and Theater Major, Robert Crowley known as Mia Ez’lay. She not only designs and assembles her own costumes, she also “slays and beat” her hair and makeup herself.

Harlette LeFluer, the second queen, caught our ear as soon as the song track started. The infamous “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton, started playing and not only did we feel her aura, it was apparent she was feeling ours too because energies were through the roof.

Yet it was her Whitney Houston rendition of “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay”, that truly got the engines roaring.

Samira Abdul-Karim
Jevon Smith, Lex Johnson, Mia Ez’Lay, Kei’Shairra Jackson, Shawn Tremblay.

Although the fire was ignited, the next queen brought even more fuel to it!

Latina princess, Jenayah De Rosario, embraced her culture and wore out the stage with her mixture of bachata and vogue. Seeing the cultivation of identities explode on the floor was amazing.

It was important for the student body there; to see the intersection of sexuality and race.  This is especially important when a culture has such a big factor in the way you live your life within society.

The final queen to grace the stage also showed her individuality on her sleeve, with a Lady Gaga and comic style drag. Scarlett Blue, Took It Off with Kesha, shedding layers of clothing even letting go of her wig into another costume. She completed her set dressed as Harley Quinn knocking out her Pretty Little Pyscho performance.

Awaiting JuJu Bee, Borrelli had three students participate in the 1st Drag Walk Competition. Sophomore and PLUS secretary, Jevon Smith, “walked that walk” and won, fiercely slaying his completion.

The time came and the crowd chanted, “WHO DO WE WANT? JUJU BEE! WHEN DO WE WANT HER? NOW!”

JuJu Bee, draped in a beautiful red gown, gave us everything and then some slaying every inch of the stage.  She showed us an elegant yet fierce side of her, with her rendition of “Fighter” by Christiania Aguilera.

Yet, in her final performance, she left her heart on the stage, performing “Love and War” by Tamar Braxton. Emotion radiated off of her into the audience leaving everyone on their feet with applause. It’s still hard to believe she didn’t win RuPaul’s Drag Race, but she definitely won a spot in our theater.

Overall, it was an amazing evening with great vibes and new traditions in the works.

Students, administration, and people from within the Springfield community got a chance to meet and greet the queens after the show. Each filled with so much energy and love.

Samira Abdul-Karim
Students and actors meet and greet after the show.

President of PLUS, the LGBTQ+ organization on campus, Kei’Shairra Jackson was very pleased stating, “AIC has smashed its way into the LGBTQ community, having its first drag show. Which made it finally inclusive to all of the student body and it felt good to feel apart.”

In the theater lobby throughout the show, two of AIC’s alumni, Martin Thomas and Annie Chen, had tables displaying their passions. Thomas did a live painting, as well, showcasing his portraits and hand-painted clothing line, you can follow him on Instagram @junior_aye.

Chen’s table promoted Tapestry, a diverse team of compassionate people providing confidential and non-judgemental health care for all.  “It was great to be on campus again, educating and giving back to the community, which helped me fall in love with my career.

SAB, PLUS, and the Theater department hope to make this event annually and even bigger next year.