The Big E is calling you!

Toni Lowden, Staff Writer

As students reel in the end of summer and settle into the new school year, crisp chill weather is beginning to replace heat waves and summer showers.

Students enjoy the last few weeks of warm weather with welcome activities on the Quadrangle and Edgewood Field before fall activities, sweaters, and hot chocolate come into place.

Tradition for most Springfield/AIC residents during the fall season is attending the Big E in West Springfield and partaking in other fall related activities such as apple picking, pumpkin patches and hayrides.

The Big E opened on September 14thand will run through September 30th.

AIC students who visit this famous fair will find deals such as a pass for all 17 days or half price after 6 p.m.

AIC Senior Raeanne McLeod shared her excitement about the Big E and what she looks forward to most.

“I always attend the Big E at night with my friends,” said McLeod.

“My favorite part about the Big E is their fried Oreos and the multiple animal exhibits they have. Not often can you indulge on sweets such as fried Oreo’s coated in powdered sugar while petting a zebra or tiny goats and then go ride a Ferris wheel afterwards,” she added.

The Big E allows for more of a fair experience where towns with local farms such as Monson and Wilbraham host pumpkin patches, farmers markets, and hay rides.

Shanell Russo, a junior at AIC, also loves the Big E but more so is interested in attending pumpkin patches and farmers markets.

“I love during fall and before Halloween picking a perfect pumpkin and carving pumpkins while eating apple cider donuts and drinking hot chocolate,” Russo said. “I’m more into farmers markets as well because I love to eat fresh, healthy foods. It would be awesome if AIC could have a mini market one day on the Quad!”

With the fall season approaching students are getting excited to participate in activities with their friends such as the Big E and other fall events.

The Big E opens September 14thand will be running for 17 days while other fall activities such as pumpkin patches, hay rides, and farmers markets will be open for around two months in nearby towns at local farms.

Students hope to see AIC take apart of the festivities and offer similar fall events on the quad for all students to attend.